🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which format

Started by
1 comment, last by GimpMaster 22 years, 6 months ago
My friend made a very nice techno song for me to add to my game but its in mp3 format. I want to add it but I don''t want to pay licensing fees. Obvious i can change it back to wav format. What are some good song formats that have a lot help with(coding) that are free from royalties. I know of one. Ogg Vorbis. What are others and where can i find information about them to add code. Thanks
Advertisement
you dont pay any fess if you use mp3 music. just make sure you use a sound library that has mp3 decoding and has no fees. or just use directshow, since it is installed on any window pc with dx 6 or higher installed. (in fact even nt can get a special directshow install). unfortunatly there are not to many other formats besieds wma, ogg vorbis and mp3 that have super high compression with decent quality. search google as always
I''d go for OGG (I just finished writing a real time decoder for OGG using they extremely easy-to-use VorbisFile library, which comes as part of the developer package). However, never decode from one compressed format and encode in another, it will kill the quality. Instead, have your friend remake it in OGG.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement