🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

It is not possible to earn money on gamedev. Games are too cheap and too many game developers.

Started by
10 comments, last by Vilem Otte 4 weeks, 1 day ago

GeneralJist said:
Your taking this out of context and being contrary.

I've reacted to your post, my reaction to OP was, I guess, quite clear. His lack of understanding of basic economics is more than obvious (this isn't meant to be offensive - but pointing out that he should read more on the topic first).

GeneralJist said:
Pointing out that ownership of digital assets on steam is different from traditionally ownership of physical goods is a point that doesn't need to be made. And from my perspective adds nothing to the discussion.

And from my perspective it does and is relevant, because the talk was involving payment per hour, which is different from:

• Subscription service - where you pay subscription whether you use the product or not (at which point his math completely blows up - because that brings you up to infinite amount of USD per hour of fun)
  • Purchasing limited-use license to use service/product under some agreement with 3rd party allowed to provide such licenses, where the agreement can change over time (incl. possible cancellation of service at notice). This is what steam does. The calculation per hour of fun can be problematic, because you can easily lose access to use given service/product (example being what Autodesk did earlier this year).
  • Purchasing full license to the actual product granting you ownership over that copy. At which point the cost per hour of fun is simple price divided by hours of use.

The above assumes that hour of use equals hour of fun.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Advertisement