🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Modern Game Music vs Old School

Started by
29 comments, last by antwithmallet 22 years, 5 months ago
Is video game music quality declining? This is a question that has been festering me for a while. Modern game music has, in a way, been getting better; the songs are of much higher quality, and usually fit the scene it was intended for better. But the new songs just don''t have the same touch old school songs have. Songs from games like FF4, FF6, and Chrono Trigger have melodies that stick in your head like glue, even though the quality of the sound quality is 16-bit. This is more of a statement then a question, but it would be nice to hear what others think. "Even perfection has room for improvement..." -C. Locke
"Even perfection has room for improvement..." -C. Locke
Advertisement
I have to agree with this. Though the technology exists for game musicians to do pretty much anything they want, I can''t remember the last time a piece of game music has stood out...

Songs from many old games (8bit/16bit era) still linger in my head, and I find myself whistling them...but more modern games? I''m lucky if I can remember the music at all, even for games I played last week.
First off, All CD''s that you buy in the store are 16-Bit audio quality bit depth... You must mean the graphics are 16-bit?

Their are plenty of games that I remember the tune to very well... Wolfenstein 3D (the original) for example... It''s such a classic tune. I have to agree with you though... It seems every kid or middle-aged man with a MIDI keyboard and sampler thinks they are a composer... a game composer none-the-less... :L They make ambience and noise mainly for todays games as if that is something new. You give a kid Sound Forge or Wave Edit or Cool Edit and they all of a sudden think they are a sound designer. Professional Composition and Effects and Foley Work actually take quite a few talented people to pull off an effective score or foley work for a game or a film. A Foley Pit is loaded with all sorts of things to record to create sounds for noises in the film or game... though, It seems in the game world it is lacking becuase the "sound designer" decided to bang his cheap computer MIC on the desk for a gun shot and so on. Anyway, I agree with you, the music and sound has gotten a lot better... but at the same time... development is terrible.

Back in the good ol'' days, composers were quite limited to the range of instruments and sounds they could have. So they relied on the quality of the melody to make up for that. Now, with much more realistic and wider range of sounds, they don''t rely on the melody so much anymore, they don''t need to. It''s really quite easy to make a dungeon theme. Heck, I''ve made songs that could qualify as a dungeon theme for modern games. The hardest thing to do in the world of game music, is to come up with a song that both fits the scene it was intended for, and has a catchy melody. Uematsu and Mitsuda did this best, but lately, even their songs haven''t had that some ol'' touch. But every now and then they surprise me. Listen to FFX''s battle theme, and you''ll see what I mean.

"Even perfection has room for improvement..."
-C. Locke
actually.. if you''ve ever played chrono cross, it has a very very nice soundtrack...
the melodies are very good and stick in your head for a long time.
if you haven''t played the game, its a good one... give it a shot

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Nothing compares to the music from Sega''s Panzer Dragoon series for the Saturn. I still have the music from Panzer Dragoon Saga wandering around in my head.

-
"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit. Touch it and the bloom is gone."
Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde
Yes I have played Chrono Cross, I''ve beaten it, and own the soundtrack. There is nothing wrong with modern music, I actually enjoy listening to the newer soundtracks as much as the old ones. But as good as some of the new music is, it still doesn''t compare with old school.

"Even perfection has room for improvement..."
-C. Locke
antwithmallet,
I totally agree with you. Modern games place much less emphasis on quality melodies and composition because of the advent of higher quality sounds and graphics. In the old days (8-bit,16-bit era), composers had little to work with to make songs. The composition of a certain piece was critical to make a good song. Now good sounding songs can be made using cool sound effects and tricks. Its just not the same... Have you listened to Final Fantasy Symphonic Suite? I have listened to it a million times and I still cannot believe how GOOD it is. It is basically an orchestral arrangement of FF1 & FF2 themes, but to hear them with the quality of real symphonic instruments is astounding.. Astounding because Uematsu''s themes are THAT good. Or at least they WERE that good. Now even his music is taking a back burner to graphics and special effects it seems (just listen to the FFX soundtrack.. Its almost all background sounds). I''m sad to think that the modern generation of gamers will never experience the excellence of the old school games... Themes such as Matoyas Cavern, FF2 Theme, FF4 Theme, etc still serve as my primary musical inspiration.. Maybe someday our game project will show the way game music is supposed to be :-)
WarCraft II. It was MIDI, but damn was it good! Nowadays, you''ll get some ambient garbage, maybe even a little tooting and snares (maybe even tooting and snares done by the Moscow Philharmonic!), but you don''t ever get stuff like what they put into WarCraft II.

I like MIDI. I don''t like RedBook. I don''t like MP3. At least not in games. Why? Because MIDI is a music format, and it has to contain music. With WAV game audio, you instead get something like this: "drip... drip... timpani BOOM BOOM... moaning... orchestra hit... drip... drip... Pizzicato strings... drip..." Sure, it''s kinda spookey, but it isn''t music. I''m not saying that there is never a place for ambient stuff. It''s just overused. Sound effects are not a substitute for melodies!
btw: WarCraft II is both MIDI and RedBook audio on the same disc... Blizzard is a company that makes very nice soundtracks for all of their games. To tell you the truth, Blizzard soundtracks kick Squaresoft soundtracks...

I never really got into Final Fantasy... I don''t really want to either. Utmatsu (whatever his name is) was lucky to land his gig though... the composer to the movie soundtrack "spirits within" is much better.

yeah i agree with that drip drip thing above... haha. Sometimes that kind of stuff is required becuase you can''t play a "melody" in a scary scene... just doesn''t work... a melody is a "pop" idea, in the thought that you think their should be a "single" on a game soundtrack. while I disagree... Don''t think of it as melody... think of it is ... make a good theme... much like in the movies.

Unbreakable and Sixth Sense soundtracks do not have music in the since that it is all notes... most of it is ambience and whispers, mixed with some strings and timpani''s... yet, it was still a great soundtrack and complimented both films.

I just hope the game soundtrack world doesn''t get as egotistical as the movie soundtrack world.... James Horner, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman and so on... It seems all hollywood films are composed by the "top 10" so called "Greats"... while i believe that their is so much more talent in the world waiting to be discovered if hollywood would give them a chance. the best is still yet to come...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement