🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Modern Game Music vs Old School

Started by
29 comments, last by antwithmallet 22 years, 6 months ago
www.minibosses.com

Site rules... they do remakes of old video game music.

Listen to their version of Contra... it rules..

-Gelf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AIM: GelfTheElf
Advertisement
I don''t know you, but Betrayal at Krondor''s music is the best one I''ve ever heard. It actually fits the scenes perfectly and really immerses you into the game. The CD version contains a much better RedBook version of the songs... you should listen to it if you can get your hands on it.

Damjan Mozetic
Rhuantavan Project
Damjan "Rhuantavan" Mozetic
digitaldirt...

I''m pretty sure Uematsu WAS the FF movie''s sound designer.
Sqeek.
Sound Design and Music Composition are 2 completely different things...

Also: Here is the composer of the film:
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Goldenthal,+Elliot

He did an excellent job, using the London Symphony Orchestra.
a talented group of musicians.

Just so you know...

Sound Design revolves more around Ambience/Background/Foley/Effects/Vocals/Engineering
I know, but I''m an unwashed-masses-programmer, even though I compose my own music. I lump it all together...
Sqeek.
How do we define "good music" for games?

If we define "good music" as music that enhances the atmosphere of the game, then it''s only "good music" if you don''t notice it. Otherwise, the music would be detracting from the gameplay. In this sense, game music has been getting better over time.

If we define "good music" as music that you can enjoy listening to without the game to go with it, then game music has been getting worse over time.

I prefer the former definition.
Best Game music ? Commando (c64)
-------------Ban KalvinB !
i still get the super mario bros. theme song stuck in my
head on a regular basis.. and i haven''t played it in
over 5 years.
now THAT''s good game music.. to stick with someone for so long..
does anybody NOT remember the mario brothers theme song?
what about the legend of zelda world music (the song thats playing
while you run around the place)
crazy stuff

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Has anyone here played Monkey Island 3? The music is very well done, and catchy, just like the lyrics (we''d shoot you in a downbeat but we gotta rest five measures...)
I happen to believe that at least part of why modern game music is so unremarkable is because it''s so "realistic." Since every other kind of music is "realistic" in that they use mostly real or real-sounding intruments, what is there to distinguish video game music from non-video game music? The length, of course, but that''s it. And since there are only so many notes to go around, it''s really hard to make truly unique melodies. I think that the harshly synthesized sounds of the NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, and SuperNES intrinsically made tunes stand out because they didn''t sound like something you heard off of a Creed CD. They had their own sound. They were video game tunes.

As we push more toward realism in music, visuals, and physics, I argue that we lose the video game as an artform. In fact, I think we''ve already passed the point of no return. All of this realism just leads to a holodeck, and 100% realism will look, feel, and sound increasingly similar between PlayStation 43543, Xbox 34879, and Nintendo 398475.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement