🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what kind of background?

Started by
10 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello all, I''m just curious how many people frequent the game writing forum have an education in the humanities (English, History, Philosophy, Classics, etc.). Please don''t construe this as an attempt to put down those who don''t have degrees. I will be the first to admit that formalized education doesn''t count for much in many cases, but I''m curious how many of you have or are currently studying the humanities at a post-secondary level. Thanks! R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Advertisement
I''m a barrister - a lawyer, not the guy who makes good coffee- in the UK. So law degree but I''ve written three law books

Nope. I have an Engineering degree.

JSwing
My education so far (GCSEs) and my current A level subjects are based primarily in science and technology, plus maths.

However, I've dabbled in the arts and humanities a small amount.

In English Lit, my studies and essays have included Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, The Lord Of The Flies, plays by Harold Pinter, films such as "Let Him Have It" (excellent film, but don't know how well known it is), Shakespeare (god, but they love teaching that), and a whole bunch of irritating philosophical type poetry by Hardy, Donne, and a whole bunch of other people.

I've also covered some Russian prose including Gogol's The Nose(man that was weird), and Mikhail Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog.

I have also been known occasionally to veer away from mainstream literature into more obscure films and books, for example I just finished watching "If.." tonight. If you haven't already seen it, do it now. It's an excellent essay on society, and a damn good film to boot.

Other than that, I'm just a hairy knuckled engineer, to quote Clarke.

Edited by - Captain Insanity on January 20, 2002 4:04:01 PM
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
No one else?
Hi study life besides coding and studing... i wonder if any of u knows the true meaning of life... :D
I study philosophy and write code for living.
That''s all.

What about time ?
Hi, i have a simple question:
why are people who are interested in computer and spend a lot of time with it called "nerds", and why are writers and musicians (for example) who spend at least the same amount of time for their work kind of heroes or something ???? I just don''t get it. I recently was in theater: Tschechow, The Seagull. God i did''t like it at all. People who write such stuff I call "nerd".

waiting for your reply
Cirdan
Well, to some people I''m sure he was considered a great artist. Just like to some people John Carmack is seen as a great coder. It''s just a question of who''s looking at the work. Certainly artistic works that have proven themselves to have cultural relevance will get more attention than a really well coded database program. Sorry. That''s just the way it is.

Besides, in the high tech field, people with less technical backgrounds are usually looked upon as derisively as how you seem to think society looks down on technically-savvy people (which I disagree with, but that''s another point). So, as you see, your question can be easily turned around.

Or maybe I''m just a ''nerd''...I''ll let you figure out which kind.

R.
I''ve not had formal education beyond the age of 16.

_/|\_
\|/

*********-.o-**********

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement