🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are there 9-to-5 jobs in the game development industry?

Started by
21 comments, last by bob_the_third 22 years, 3 months ago
gamasutra did a salary survey recently.. from what i''ve
seen, industry programmers make a fairly decent cut.
lowest being 37k/year highest being around 150k/year (was a
lead programmer position however).

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

Vash says: eat more donuts, play more games!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Scarab
Turnover was mostly the problem there, and the fact that the folks creating our artwork assets were in Europe. That made it all quite exciting, a lot more than necessary.

Does anyone actually consider that the stupid hours cause the high turnover, rather than the turnover is leading to the hours?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
>Does anyone actually consider that the stupid hours cause the >high turnover, rather than the turnover is leading to the >hours?

I think its a case of both. I worked in one of these studios once. In my short time there I saw three people go. I spoke to an artist that worked there a year ago and the story was the same. I''ve never worked in a place where the average age was so low. There was one guy over 40. One guy 35 and the rest were early 20''s. This was not a new studio it was quite old. Just think of the experience they are throwing away. When I look at my old code I marvel at how bad it is. I''ll bet in 5 years time I''ll look at todays code and think that is pathetic. And these guys just throw away that kind of experience with their greedy short term attitudes. I guess thats capitalism for ya.

"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement