🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

is a volleyball sim game interesting?

Started by
12 comments, last by FloMa 22 years, 4 months ago
You know what someone should make? A FENCING simulator. If you could just get past the interface problems, I bet you could sell a million of those.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
Advertisement
quote: Original post by FloMa
one of my friends just asked me why there are no volleyball sims out there.

so I just wanted to ask if there is any interest at all?

I mean there is baskedball, soccer, football, ... but no volleyball ...

give me your thoughts about it please

Sure it can be interesting.Most of it depends on the game programmer though.I mean in real life I cant stand watching NasCar but I love playing video games based on it.

Normally I find football takes too long but yet I have most of Madden''s series of football games.So I can see someone coming up with a good volleyball sim game.

About the only kind of game I can never see making a good concept for a sim is golf.I just don''t care it''s too boring to watch or play in my opinion.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions
quote: Original post by Captain Insanity
You know what someone should make? A FENCING simulator. If you could just get past the interface problems, I bet you could sell a million of those.

You know that would be cool.I often wish that there was a fighting game with more like real sword fighting.I mean imagine you''re a knight having to do battle with another knight as you sword fight up the stair case.Or you''re on a battlefield having to sword fight your way through a horde of enemy soldiers.

The problem is how do you get the gameplay so intuitive to where the player can concentrate on where his opponent will try to strike next and not have to worry so much about which button does what again.

first to FloMa:
there are vollyball video sims out there. you just missed them since they came out and did lousy. see tg16, nes, snes, genesis for some vollyball games. naturally vollyball is not popular here and they did not do well so nobody is bothering to make more.

to gamesmaster2:
sword fighting up stairs? nifty but then again knights really did not sword fight up stairs, nor could they (those sowrds are heavy). maybe you mean fencing, though even in those cases rarly would they fight on stairs.

some facts:
sword fights are ussually VERY short. it ussually takes only a few swings (many times only 1) to kill a person. especially when dealing with lighter swords like sabers and raipers. broardsword fights were ussually even shorter (you can only swing a 5.5 pound sword wearing 3-4 pound chainmail and even heavier armour so many times). fights with katanas and other japanese swords were also quite short, ussually only a few movements. heck the pre battle stare down lasts longer then the fight. those swords were extremely sharp, cutting through 1-2 (some even 3) human torsos was common (for those that did not know, samurais would gauge a sword by how many bodies it could cut through, they woudl take the dead and hang them on trees to test the swords and practice). you should watch the seventh samurai which has excellent realistic japanese sword fighting. be forewarned the movie is old, in black and white, and only availible subtitled. then go play bushido blade for psx.

while sword fights against hordes would not be entirly unrealistic, you would need mulitple ppl on your side for it to maintain realism and would need the ability to use the surroundings to your advantage. also the hordes would have to be unskilled, and limited to how many attacked at once. with the lighter japanese swords, it probally would be more enjoyable and realistic (again see seventh samurai). though in the movie the samurai were going against grunts which placed them at a huge advantage. since only one or two swings will incapicate the foe.

btw there are fencing sims out there (try nearly any summer olympic game for a console). i am guessing the main reason why there are few fencing titles is due to fact of the physics. you have to simulate an bendable sword with decent collision detection. i noticed (from videos i have seen) that some of the movements rely on this feature of the sword (though there are heavier swords that dont have this feature). also the movemnet is more difficult to drop into a control pad due to this and the rotating of the sword during combat. in the end you will have to get fencing popular and hope game developers see it porfitable or better yet make your own (i feel that todays cpus should be able to run a decent physics engine with the bendable sword (really stiff spring system).

EDIT: forgot mention, another reason fencing is probally not gonna to video game friendly (espeically now that everyone wants that 3d movement stuff) is due to the single dimension of the fighting (combatants move back and forth only, with no side to side movement). now i am not sure if fencing can handle side to side and diagnal movement well or not since most footage i have seen does not break away form the 1d combat. i know in the olympics all combat is done in 1d, and this may further hamper gaming potential. oh well, maybe someone reading this will make a spiffy fencing sim

Edited by - a person on February 6, 2002 12:28:50 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement