🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rogue, Hack,

Started by
17 comments, last by Brett B. 24 years, 4 months ago
I was in the mood for some nostalgia and loaded Rogue on my machine and wondered why am I playing such an old game? So my questions are: 1. Can games that are well designed and thought-out, regardless of age, stand-up against the “test of time”? 2. In certain situations, game play can greatly outweigh graphics and sound? Granted Rogue was done with ASCII characters and does not have an up-to-date GUI but it is still fun to play every once in awhile. I would like to know what you think. Thanks, Brett
Advertisement
Absolutely! I still get a kick out of playing Planetfall or some of the other old Infocom games. When Pong and Tron reprised on TI-85''s back in high school, they were just as much fun to play, simply because they were great games. In fact, I think I am going to go play a little FFI. If you''ll excuse me....
-david
You made a good point there, Brett.
1. Positive. They sure can.
2. Positive. And not only in "certain" situations.

Why are older games often more fun even though the graphics are totally out of date ?

In my opinion, that''s exactly the point. The old games didn''t have graphics engine with trilinear filtering and 32bit color depth. Unreal makes you go "WOW" when you see the graphics engine. Games in former times had a maximum of 16 colors if you were *really lucky*. Because they didn''t have fancy or funky graphics they had to rely on gameplay rather than "8.2 billion polygons per second" to attract gamers...

Take Quake for example: It''s technology is awesome - but if you look behind the scenes the gameplay is more primitive than Pacman. I nPacman you sometimes where chased and had to run away and at other times you could go chasing them monsters. Now I am not saying that Quake sucks just because it dowsn''t have a gameplay, but it''s more a technology demo with a nice little game packed on top of it rather than a game that was designed to be a game. I read a nice saying about that once: "It''s the tail wagging the dog".
The developers simply were to busy with their 3D engine to think about much gameplay.

Imagine Quake with a roguelike engine Now, wouldn''t THAT be fun? Have some @ signs beat each other up ? You see my point: In Quake it''s the engine that makes the game, and not gameplay, as it should be. ASCIIQuake could never stand a chance against any roguelike.

A counter example is Halflife for example. They licensed the Quake II engine and actually made a real GAME on top of it. But even that is not as deep as a roguelike.

I myself am trying to develop a roguelikish game right now and I am trying to focus in gameplay (which also means that there''s not gonna me much graphics)
Anyway there''s a map prototype and a Treatment you might be interested in...
Well, take a look at it and tell me what you think about it...

I think it''s time for my daily dose of roguelike (mostly Moria and ADoM) - So happy rogueing...(Is there a word like that ?)

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
To answer the original questions.. YES !
I have reinstalled the old Dungeon Master on my computer and i am playing it again. I must say, i enjoy it very, very much, and i have more fun with it than _all_ the games i bought since the last year.
Makes you ponder...

Y.
Of course you can do a great game in just ASCII graphics. Just take a look (as long as we''re comparing Quake and ASCII graphics): http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

Seriously, though, Great gameplay beats out flashy graphics for me, every time. *I* still play nethack, and have since I was about 11. One of the first PC games I ever had. Of course, not the same version all this time. Darn thing wasn''t Y2K compliant. ::mutter:: And I *still* haven''t beat the darn thing.
I had some more thoughts on this topic...
So here it goes:

Who are the people that make games? Mostly very "scientific" people with knowledge of programming and often mathematics, too. That means that they know how to structurize a game process make algorithms and tweak the program.
The problem here is firstly that they oftentimes think to much "logic" and "mathematical", because they are trained to think that way. But this might not always be good for a game and its gameplay sometimes its like more of an unespected twist that you need.
Secondly I think that these people have too much knowledge of computers and the way they think. So they adapt to this way of thinking.

In my opinion games should be thought up by someone how has absolutely no idea how a computer works and only wants to play a fun game (but yet there might be a problem because people don''t know what they want to play...). These people cannot be influenced by the confines of the computer architecture.
Now don''t misunderstand what I said about programmers ( that they think too "structured"). Their job is to put all the ideas into a logical and structured order and make a game out of it.
And I am afraid you can''t do both...

To draw a little anylogy about this topic:
If these games nowadays were cars,
they would look COOL,
would be LIGHTNING-FAST,
EASY to use,
and you could go only FORWARD and BACKWARD.
(no corners, no sharp turns, no burned rubber, no powerslide, no fun)
- Imagine bumper cars only going forward and backward

That''s enough ranting for one day...

Over to more important matters
(and btw Happy Valentine''s day
((what about a poll "Do you have a girl/boyfriend (or are even "married")? Answers: a) Yes. b) No c) Yes, and (s)he''s got 800 MHz and 128 MB RAM - but I''ll upgrade her/him next week(It''s her/his birthday then...)))

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
I like quake 2 as much as I do quake 3 =)
one of the best examples of a perfect blend of fun and engine is Metal Gear Solid for the PlayStation. (have you played it yet? go! now!) aside from the fantastic coding that must have gone into the game (on a 2Mb machine with a 2x CDROM...poor thing streams a lot), there is a fantastic plot (albeit a bit linear), wonderful sense of environment, and great gameplay.

aaron
-----------------------------
LeChuck! GRRRRRR.
----------------------------------------Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
That''s true guybrush...I saw it once...A good example of technology AND plot.

Well, I also liked playing MI for that matter

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
Sleepwalker, I think I see what you are trying to convey. As a programmer, sometimes you can''t see the forest for the trees. That while coding a game, it is very easy to loose the over-all intent and purpose of the game. Therefore, this is why it is important to have a project manager or one who is not directly involved with the coding per-say but in the larger scheme of things.

And SiCrane, I can''t wait to try out text quake. Thank you for the link.

Thanks,
Brett

Bend, but do not break.
Give, but do not yield.

-Some wise man from Kung Fu Theater

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement