🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

proposal

Started by
10 comments, last by Gromit 24 years, 4 months ago
I propose that you get rid of the 'Help Wanted' forum and ban people from posting help wanted messages. Instead have them include a one line statement and link to their website in thier message signature. By eliminating that forum, active users will not be subjected to the constant requests by others looking for team members. We have all seen many of the one time posts by people that are only looking for others to join thier team. Then you never hear of them again. This would limit the requests to only the active people in the forums because the only way to ask for team members is by being a contributing member of this board. It should discurage the people who are not commited and encurage those that are. The users of the board will also be able to keep track what is happening with all the projects. I think that this will tighten the userbase of the board and increase the quality of posts. An alternative would be to remove the help wanted forum only from the latest threads list. Then the only people that have to look at the requests are those actually looking to join a team. Hope I made sense. Edited by - Gromit on 2/16/00 12:00:17 PM
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Advertisement
I think that makes perfect sense, and I think it''s something to consider. What we do want to avoid is people posting Help Wanted style questions in the other forums. I do like the option of closing off the Latest Threads list. May need to look into that. Thanks for the input.

Kevin Hawkins
www.gamedev.net

Admin for GameDev.net.

Am I missing something here?

If you eliminate the "Help Wanted" forum, I submit that you will see the number of such messages posted in other forums go sky-high. Right now, there may be a few mis-posts, but, in general, it''s kept to tolerable levels.

If someone doesn''t want to read a particular forum, they certainly don''t have to. And as for mis-posts, most of them are clearly labeled in their subject making them easy to avoid.

So I simply don''t see the problem.

DavidRM
Samu Games
A quick follow-up to my post (easier than editing):

I''ve never used the "latest threads" feature. The list is simply too short to be useful to me. So I always just go to the "Message Board" page and browse from there.

DavidRM
Samu Games
quote: Original post by DavidRM

If you eliminate the "Help Wanted" forum, I submit that you will see the number of such messages posted in other forums go sky-high. Right now, there may be a few mis-posts, but, in general, it''s kept to tolerable levels.

If someone doesn''t want to read a particular forum, they certainly don''t have to. And as for mis-posts, most of them are clearly labeled in their subject making them easy to avoid.

So I simply don''t see the problem.

I was going to make a similar reply earlier. Kevin stated the exact reason we have a Help Wanted forum. If you''re not looking to join a team, don''t read the forum. The point about excluding those threads from the latest threads list is a good one, though, so I''ll see what can be done.

It was just a suggestion really. I thought of it when I checked the latest threads and all of them were help wanted posts.

I just thought that a help wanted section is not really a forum for discusion. It''s basicly like the local supermarket bulletin board, a one time post.

I think that this section *IS* a great idea. However, if you do remove it then you may have people posting in other places. Thats why I thought of the signature solution.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

With UBB, we had the option of changing the settings for specific forums. We could have made the Help Wanted forum such that only registered members could post, and no one could reply. That seems like a pretty good solution, added to blocking those threads from the latest threads list. I''ll look into doing it, but it may take a while, because we no longer have someone assigned specifically to maintaining the forum software.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated, especially since you''re one of the top contributors here.
How''sabout you just put the Forum, or a shortened code word for the forumn in with the "Recent Threads" section. I''ve always wondered why they weren''t there. You could get rid of the date and time to make room for these. I don''t think anybody really cares whate the date and time was when these were posted because they are the most recent and are therefore pretty closely matched with the current date and time.
I agree, but in addition to (or instead of) having codes, you could add a feature to that ''profile'' thing you were hyping before: select only the forums you want, and then only threads from those forums appear in the Recent Threads space. You could also specify how many threads you want to see.

Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Why not just start a "Looking For Team" thread

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement