🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Money Of Course!

Started by
7 comments, last by Wraithed 22 years, 4 months ago
How much would a freelance Texture/Level/Map creator get for designing and creating a fully textured map for an up coming game be paid for his work? I have no idea what to ask for or what a going rate is and I don''t want to upset anyone by asking for too much and I don''t want to be ripped off either. Any input would be appreciated.
Advertisement
hrm.. it''d have to be one damn good level design or whatever to get paid much at all.
there are tons of ''scene'' level creators/modders out there gnawing at the bit, trying to get noticed in the gamedev
world, and many of them would work for free.
you''d probably need somethin pretty special to set yourself
apart.
but as far as that goes, level design is kinda entry level..
you could expect maybe 20-25ish if you were lucky. but you mentioned custom textures so that bumps you up a notch. most
level designers cant texture to save their lives.
if you''re confident with your skills, you could ask 25-30ish
(which translates out to about 15/hour if you''re working 40hour
weeks). not bad for an entry level job title..
this really all depends on the place you''re trying to apply for
or whatever.
now if you''re talking about contract work-
ie) one map, done deal.. or one project..
thats a bit more tricky to calculate.. it all depends on who
you''re working for.
if i were you, i''d let them make you an offer on it (we''re talking about
one level here, not an hourly wage or whatever), and if you
feel under appreciated, barter with them. if they like your stuff
they wont kick you out the door and toss your laptop after you.
reach a compromise.
good luck!

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

Vash says: eat more donuts, play more games!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
$US1100 per month.
lol

First of all, you need to make some good textures to show to the company (ies) you want to work for... They will never offer money to a texture/map maker who hasn''t shown anything of his work... Those examples need to be REALLY good if you want them to offer you a contract. Most people don''t get paid for textures or maps, especially maps. Anyone can make maps (although not everyone is good at it)

Once they''re interested in you, let them offer you a contract. You''ll see if the money is enough for you, and you can compare it with other salaries...

Don''t expect to make a living out of your texture/mapmaking income though... it won''t be enough I reckon.

''Qui habet aures audiendi audiat'' - Me

A link to the website of my 3D engine will follow as soon as I have something concrete to show... Which will be soon.
You guys are all smoking crack.

Level design and art (models, textures, etc) are almost always done in-house for commercial projects. I have never heard of anyone actually being paid for "freelance" work of this category. You''re going to have to apply for a full-time job if this is what you want to do.

So the flip side of the coin is non-commercial work... which means they''re not going to have any $$$ to pay you anyway, so you can expect exactly $0.00.
quote: Original post by Pyabo

Level design and art (models, textures, etc) are almost always done in-house for commercial projects. I have never heard of anyone actually being paid for "freelance" work of this category. You''re going to have to apply for a full-time job if this is what you want to do.

So the flip side of the coin is non-commercial work... which means they''re not going to have any $$$ to pay you anyway, so you can expect exactly $0.00.

yeah, thats why the first half of my post was in a ''full time job'' scenario, and the second half was just a guess.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

Vash says: eat more donuts, play more games!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Level design and art (models, textures, etc) are almost always done in-house for commercial projects. I have never heard of anyone actually being paid for "freelance" work of this category.

I don''t know about level design, but for art there are studios like <a href="http://www.newpencil.com">New Pencil</a> who create art for games in an independent contractor capacity. I''m sure they charge quite a lot for their services.

There are however still freelance artists and freelance programmers. But that are the senior freelancers with tons of experience.

Of freelance level desginers I never heard of. Freelance game designers I know some people. But that are mostly also senior freelancers. Those senior freelancers got years of experience working at different game companies. Some also international.

So you need to start at a game development studio or big publisher with there own studio. But the games industry prefers just like said there own people. They are at first not too expensive like the hired freelance staff. Also those freelancers are from the "old" generation. I don''t know if the studio''s will hire freelance staff from this generation. The market for games isn''t as stable for now as it was a very long time ago. So work for hire as freelancer is very doubtfull. I know a freelance senio artist, but his experience is unique. International experience etc. Years of experience. Richard Cheek is his name.
Check his website: http://www.freelance-animation.com/about.html

There are still freelance audio engineers and composers.
But also for those people is that they got tons of experience.
And audio is something different that art. But still it''s difficult. There are enough studio''s with there own audio designer.
Conclusion is that in the end you need to find a job at a studio.
Or starting your own "indie" studio

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement