🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Licence fees for images

Started by
11 comments, last by McMcDonald 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi! I want to use images of banknotes and coins in my game. There is a CD-ROM to buy where i can find a lot of such images. The distributor of the CD-ROM says that he wants licence fee for using the images of the banknotes and coins. What do you think ? Is it possible to have a copyright on images of banknotes and coins ? Can i have problems when using the images ? Thanks for replies McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
Advertisement
try asking

http://www.banknotes.com/images.htm

see what they say...
What you are using are photographic images of said banknotes? In this case the person who made these photograph owns the copyright. For sure you could go to the bank, get the banknote and make a photo yourself...

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Hi!

Thanks for replies. I need images of banknotes from all over the world. It would be too expensive to go to bank and get all these banknotes. I will have a look at www.banknotes.com.

McMc
quote: Original post by McMcDonald
It would be too expensive to go to bank and get all these banknotes.

And that is exactly why they charge a fee. It is just as expensive for them to do it and only fair that you pay to use their hard work.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Hi!

Yes, i have to pay the retail price of the CD itself. That''s okay. But they want the CD-price x 100 if i use the images in my game. And that''s too much for me because i don''t know how much money i will make with my game.

McMc
also i HIGHLY advise you to read up on the laws of using images of USA currency. there are some restrictions to quality levels that you are allowed to use. while i doubt you have to worry too much since you probably are just using them as small textures, but i would still read up on the law. most ussually applies to print copies, but its better to be safe then sorry. also it may be illeagal to even attempt to copyright images of money since the government owns the copyright on the money and has special laws about it. again CHECK the laws about it.

Why not go to the nearest decent size airport and play at the currency exchange booth? How about coin shops or shows for coin collectors? There''s got to be a better/free(er) way than this.
quote: Original post by McMcDonald

Yes, i have to pay the retail price of the CD itself. That''s okay. But they want the CD-price x 100 if i use the images in my game. And that''s too much for me because i don''t know how much money i will make with my game.

Well, looks like you won''t be using those images in the game, then.

Seriously, this is just like if someone bought a copy of your game, then decided to install it on all his friend''s computers for free. Don''t you think you should be paid a bit more if someone''s going to do that?
There was a program called Credit Builder by A Utah company.
It had pitures of banknotes on it.
They had no copyright problems seliong the software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement