🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Licence fees for images

Started by
11 comments, last by McMcDonald 22 years, 3 months ago
We''re not talking about copyright. We are talking about license fees. He want to buy a CD with images on and use the image in his game (to make money).

The CD distributor says that to use it for commercial purposes he will have to pay a license fee (a royalty). At the end of the day it is their CD and their work creating it. If they want a license fee they are within their rights so pay up or find a different source of images.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Advertisement
Hi!

I think i have to make clear that i don''t want to use their images in my game without their permission.

I was just wondering about the possibility to have the copyright on images of banknotes and coins. But its true - also if a photographer takes a wonderful photo of a wonderful mountain in the sunrise - he wants money if anybody wants to use the photo in a magazine. And it''s now clear to me that i have to pay for their work and not for the images.

They wanted 800 Euro for the permission of using their photos - i bought the official (restricted) CD to have a look at offer - and curiously on the cover was a reference to 6 CDs with the same content (higher quality) that can be used without licence fees for commercial use for 150 Euro.

Have fun, make games!
McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
quote: Original post by McMcDonald
I think i have to make clear that i don''t want to use their images in my game without their permission.

Understood

quote:
They wanted 800 Euro for the permission of using their photos - i bought the official (restricted) CD to have a look at offer - and curiously on the cover was a reference to 6 CDs with the same content (higher quality) that can be used without licence fees for commercial use for 150 Euro.

The reason for the difference could be that they consider the amount that the image will be used in the game to be greater than it would be in normal commercial use (such as a brochure).

I had to license images from the Imperial War Museum in London for use in a flight sim. Normally the fee was a set amount per image for book/brochure etc and a higher figure for broadcast (TV/film). They wanted to charge us the higher figure for use in a game because, although we were selling individual copies (like a book or magazine) they felt that the repeated display of the images during gameplay was greater use of the images than normal.

At the end of the day cash is cash. If you can''t afford to pay what they want decide how much you can afford and make them an offer. You could also offer full credit in the games credits/title sequence (a bit of fame goes a long way).

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement