🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Start up costs, questions and registry

Started by
4 comments, last by Wise Ass 22 years, 3 months ago
I have been presented the opertunity to enter a competition through school where I can set up my own company. In doing so I have come to realize alot about the industry but still need some questions answered. The first question I have is: Is there any thing beter than a sole proprietership? I mean seriously, the worst part about publishers is that if you dont hit deadlines they can sue you for the lost revenues... or can they not? The second is more of a multiple question: Under tyhe business platfirm that you suggest what are the neccesarry steps to follow and what are the estimated costs? I know that you need to register your co. name with the state, register your trademark, but past that there was nothing I could find (even the all powerful google couldn't help). I ask for just a rough estimate for the start-up costs because it is obvious that it will very quite abit from state to state. Thanks for you help. ~Wise Edited by - Wise Ass on March 10, 2002 2:21:03 AM
Advertisement
Intrinsic Algorithm L.L.C.

Hope that gives you a hint.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

quote: Original post by Wise Ass
I have been presented the opertunity to enter a competition through school where I can set up my own company. In doing so I have come to realize alot about the industry but still need some questions answered.

The first question I have is:

Is there any thing beter than a sole proprietership?

Depends on the type of business and how much money is changing hands. Many business start as a sole proprietor and file as something else later on.

quote:
Under tyhe business platfirm that you suggest what are the neccesarry steps to follow and what are the estimated costs?

I know that you need to register your co. name with the state, register your trademark, but past that there was nothing I could find (even the all powerful google couldn''t help). I ask for just a rough estimate for the start-up costs because it is obvious that it will very quite abit from state to state.

Filing costs are very low. Most of the ''startup cost'' is inital employees, equiplment, inventory, etc. This all depends on the type of business and the costs in your particular area.
Never ever work with Xing Interactive as an indie but go trough the self publishing model and publish otherwise with Dexterity software! Dexterity got very good referentions.
Anonymous Poster:

You only need to post this message once buddy. By cross posting on all active threads in the forum no one will take you seriously. And Please before you go flaming other people go ahead and learn the English language. "Referentions" is not even a word in the English language. The word I believe you are so helplessly striving for is "references". Don’t think throwing around the names "Dexterity" or "Steve Pavlina" is going to give you any more credibility either. Your actions speak louder then your words.

Edited by - ironside on March 10, 2002 7:34:32 PM
Limited Liability corporations are nice but limited I didn''t realy like the lay out from what I read. I did how ever decied to be a full blown corporation.

From what I have found getting trademarks and the corporation established cost is under a thousand dollars.

As far as self-publishing, I have talked to WIll Wright and he said "You might make enough to keep fed through self-publishing but not much more".

Thanks for your help so far guys.
~wise

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement