🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Worst games of the 20th century

Started by
122 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 9 months ago
For those of you unfortunate enough to know what I''m talking about: Septerra Core
How this game sucked. The story rocked (it should be a book), but was it ever BORING! First off, it was a FF ripoff, and the battles took forever against even the weakest enemies. Puzzles involved walking...walking...walking, throw switch, walking...walking...you get the idea. I could NOT finish the game, it was so boring. Even WITH the walkthrough (bad gamer, I know).

Oh, and while I''m at it, Wheel Of Time sucked ass big time too. What a way to ruin such an awesome series.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by AtypicalAlex

I kind of liked Rise of the Triad ...

Oh! I thought of another one:
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. It was too easy for action fans, too annoying for Tomb Raider fans, and had nothing at all for GA fans! Personally I think Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of the greatest games ever, and then to produce that sh**... gets me upset.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com

Alex, The Fate of Atlantis was a graphic adventure. Not an action/adventure. Play it as a graphic/adventure and your opinion might change.

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Well, kuang, you want to know how millions can be wrong:
1) Myst
2) Who Wants to Be a Millionare!
3) both Twinsen {LBA} games

The first two are a culmination of marketing and cosumer sheepidity. They sold more units than the actual product justifies.

The latter is an example of lacking marketing and consumer knowledge. Twinsen''s Odyssey {LBA 2} has made GameSpot''s Top 10 in nearly every category. On top of that, most reviewers praised both. Go figure.

As for DN3D, I HATED it! But that''s because I was expecting the same Duke from I and II, not a pair of hands with corny catch-phrases. Only the ego-stroking survived the transformation to 3D.
Hey. Started reading this article over at Adrenaline Vault. Kind of makes a decent list of bad games. Some are definate candidates for the worst.
hmm, I would have to say that the worst game I ever played as a kid was myst. Beyond the Beyond was also a pretty crappy game. I bought it cuz it was the first console rpg for psx. I never liked the new Duke Nukems either, although I do remember playing the first Duke Nukem Side scrollers way back in the day and those were great

We shall be free; th'' Almighty hath not build here for his ervy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure and in my choyce To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav''n.
We shall be free; th'' Almighty hath not build here for his ervy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure and in my choyce To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav''n.
quote: Original post by Magic Card
And please, don't yell at other people about their posts. It's their own opinion

Edited by - Etnu on May 18, 2000 4:18:22 PM

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Come on guys, stop making audacious claims. Topic was worst game of the 20th century, and you come up with stuff like Quake 3 and Tomb Raider??? You might not like them, but bad textures or no plot doesn''t constitute worst game ever. So far the best nominees I''ve seen are some of the Atari 2600 games like ET and my personal vote

BATTLE CRUISER 3000AD!!

This one was so heartbreaking in that you could see what Mr. Smart was trying for, but failed miserably. Not only was the game one of _the most_ buggy games I''ve ever played, but the whole mechanics of the thing were screwy. Mr. Smart was going for an open ended universe where anything could happen, but in doing so, made exploration so boring it was pointless. Good luck getting your battle cruiser to stay in orbit while you check the planet out, which there was nothing to see anyways.

Of course this conversation will be skewed since very few copies were probably ever released/played of the "true" worst game ever made, but this is my two cents. =)

Ut
How can you say Quake was bad? Quake was f**ck** awesome. I would like whoever says Quake was a bad game make an engine half as advanced as it. What''s with all the game bashing lately? Does it make you guys feel good to insult somebody''s hard work? There is one exeption...if the game actually sucks. But don''t say that a game sucks especially if it''s one of the top sellers.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Im sorry, you guys are wrong about the Quake series. I agree the single player sucked for basically all of them, but all 3 of those games have unparrellel deathmatch. And its important to realize thats what these games are: deathmatch games. They are not involving single player, or team-based tactical games (all though there are many good mods for each. Clan Arena for Quake1 I think is still one of the best things to do on a lan).

And the reason they are so good at deathmatching, is how deep the games are (and if you just turned your head and went ''urgh'', you can quit reading this post now). DM3, DM4, DM6, Q2DM1 are excellent maps, which have a perfect balance of armour and weapons. The game''s physics really make the game, example - strafe jumping, double jumping, circle strafing with a twist, high sensitivity, and almost any gun in any quake game (if used effectively) can destroy your opponent.. q2 blaster aside, q1 axe aside..some others, but not nearly as many ''useless'' weapons as in other FPS games.

And yes I know each game wasnt revolutionary (quake 1 aside), but the fine tunings and improvements in netcode and graphics, made each one a great Deatmatch experience.

hope I wasnt yelling.... just a side note, none of the Quake games are my "favorite" game, but I think respect should be given when respect is due.

ratman
Hmmmmm.....
welll
heres my 25 cents:
Favorite games of the century:
Total Annihilation
Starsiege
Age of Empires: Rise Of Rome
Need for Speed 2
Heart of China (old, but way 2 kool)
and last but not least, Urban Assault......(it had a good start, but.........i guess it was the gloomyness and the lack of options that drove gamers away, you could only choose one faction for the campaign)
Sucky and Cool Games (Dissapointments):
Total Annihilation (LOTS OF BUGS, ESPECIALLY WITH 3RD PARTY UNITS)
Need for Speed 3
Test Drive 4
Cool Classics:
Test Drive 3 and below (even with sucky graphics, it was a ton funer than TD4, i donno about TD5 or higher though, but in TD3 you could go off road, and cops were after you and there was a kinky multiplayer game type)
Kings Quest, and Space QUest
Qin (A BUG STOPPED ME FROM FINISHING IT!!!)
Sucky Games that I owned:
Diablo (sucky storyline.......)
Shattered Light (good storyline, good ideas, impossible missions and quests)
The Need For Speed (number one, it sucked completely.....dont tell me they couldnt make a version with a REAL racing game....like multiplayer split screen....at least they had the DOdge Viper
Games that just plain stink or are stupid beyond stupidity:
Tomb Raider (DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE......it sucked so bad....lame excuse for a adventure game.....its just plain action and getting Lara killed.....even if it was kinda funny)
Duke Nukem 3D and company (it sucked....just plain gore and more gore.....anyone want a tasty monster meatball?)
Wolfenstien 3D (it was a good game at its time, but now it kinda sucks....one gets tired of the gloomy castle dungeons with skeletons hanging around......ooooo...spooky)
Command and Conquer and company (Sucky, lack of compatability, or customizability.......even if it had less bugs than TA, TA allowed almost complete customizability, maps, units, even an attempt at creating a new faction!!)

oh, almost forgot the ONLY good Disney game, Stunt Island RULES!!!!!

Out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement