🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure games

Started by
24 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
Hey, it wasn''t meant to be negative! I love adventures as much as the next guy. I was just curious about your idea.

2DNow - Yesteryears technology at your fingertips! - REDESIGNED!
Advertisement
Ulysses and the Sirens? Addy, you keep piquing my curiosity. Now I''m going to have to think about it.

Shinzo, I don''t really like adventure games so much. Unfortunately, most of the ones I got to play exemplified everything bad about adventure games. But the good ones were great, and were memorable in a lot of aspects.
PErsonally I love the japanese approach.
Instead of pretending to be anything more than an interactive movie, they simply do just that, but properly.
I dont really like those games that promise so much and deliver so little. If you do an adventure game, aim not too high. Do a little but do it well.

Ulysses and the Sirens ? I fail to see where the mystery would be (unless you are not familiar with the stories)

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ThoughtBubble
Ulysses and the Sirens? Addy, you keep piquing my curiosity. Now I''m going to have to think about it.

You really ought to give the subject some objective consideration. It''s just like when contemporary artists discovered in Van Gogh''s paintings a technique that had been lost since the rennaissance (the technique could be seen and understood, but how it was implemented was unfathomable to the best modern minds),

The point I am making is that this genre, and it''s attributes have all kinds of advantages over other genres that have sold very well (and these genres had complex interaction systems that were implemented for very baser objectives like destruction and conquest) that address some of the most challenging aspects of engagement, suspension of disbelief (a weak definition of a very powerful array of cognitive response), player psychologies that reach to the very roots of what ''interest'' implies -- it''s all there.

I''d go into some of the specifics, but I wouldn''t sell you a bum steer when I said doing some research on what all the abstract and concrete permutations of what adventure defines will begin to indicate what vast potential this genre still has if only in the context of player gameplay experience. I think this genre, as opposed to all others, has a take away value no other can compare to. I will also say that because of the advantages this genre has no others have; developing successfully within it is very artistically challenging from design and story POV''s, and offers opportunities in AI most programmers would be scared of taking on.

I don''t consider it a waste of time, and though most people consider adventures in the contexts of the early great text adventures, that would have simile to considering rock and roll as only the stones and the beatles. There is a lot more here that meets the eye, mind, and first pass at consideration.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

The comeback may be sooner than you relise. Full Throttle 2 is in the works, and is going to be released "shortly".
This is my opinion:

Adventure game will never die. My opinion is that story is the most important factor in an adventure game. IMO, if you have a good story then your adventure game will sell millions of copies even if it''s a text adventure. It''s all about the story (emphasized for the 3rd time :D).

However people with good story tends to publish their own book instead of making the story into an adventure game. To make a good story, you need to

--- create lively characters that can touch you emotionally(Aeris in FF7)

--- or you need to create a truely hilarious story (for example, Japanese anime Let''s Go,Inachu Ping Pong Club, search google for "inachu hilarious"

--- or you create a touching love story (Titanic, Gone With The Wind)

--- or you create something nobody ever experienced before (e.g. Starwars was popular in 1977 because nobody ever experienced a space drame, King Quest was popular in 198x because nobody ever experienced graphical adventure).

So remember, it''s all about the story.
Adventure will never die, first because full throttle 2 will came out this fall and 2 if really die, then i will biuld an entirely company to make the revival

long live Larry and lucasarts!
Excuse my ignorance/stupidity, but what exactly is an adventure game? A lot of games have a strong element of adventure in them.
About 2 months ago I downloaded the space quest series and started playing those through. Sure, the graphics are poor, and the sound effects are equal to my microwave, but I still prefer to play that than any of the games that are out at the moment. Hey, Im going to try and find Day of the tentacle! That would be fun! OH! Sam and Max! That was awesome! What about police quest? They were always good. Geez, who needs Unreal II?

Voice of Tango: An 'adventure game' was the term that was given to 'point-and-click adventure games' a while back, and soon everyone was just calling them adventure games. And example some good adventure games is the Monkey Island series, Lucas Arts huge contribution of all sorts of games, my favourite being Day of the tentacle:

http://www.adventurecollective.com/reviews/dayofthetentacle.htm

What a wonderful genre. If you havnt played any of these games before, I seriously suggest trying to find Monkey Island III (I think that the correct number. Its the one before they went all 3d). This game is brilliantly funny!

[edited by - Boolean on April 8, 2003 11:32:51 AM]
Adventure games are extremely linear and do no include killing monsters, shooting guns, or making experience (along all the game that is). The most memorable adventure games to me are definetly "Legend of Kyrandia" and "Monkey Island". And no, I don''t think adventure games are dying. But I don''t really like the "Myst" type of adventure games...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement