🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure games

Started by
24 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
Same poster as above, I forgot to mention "Simon the Sorcerer", which was really, really, really really fun! Check it out!
Advertisement
I think the success of a game nowadays is determined by its multiplayer element. Friends will naturally want to get each other involved, which requires their own copy of the game = more sales. Word of mouth is a powerful contributor.

You can create your own unique work of art, with any style you please. Whether or not it succeeds is naturally determined by the interests of the people who would buy it.

If you have a profound message, maybe that shouldn't be the game's draw. Gameplay and multiplayer drive a game more than what you really want to express with your story. In most cases.

Adventure games are only as dead as the people who would buy them and play them. If there is interest, the genre isn't dead.

If you're asking for the actual state of the current market, I have no numbers for you.

[edited by - Waverider on April 8, 2003 11:33:04 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

State of adventure gaming, Mach 2003

North American sales figures that were recently released by Dreamcatcher:

Nancy Drew Series – 500,000 units sold
Crystal Key – 455,000 units sold
Traitor’s Gate – 245,000 units sold
Riddle of the Sphinx – 230,000 units sold
Dracula Resurrection – 170,000 units sold
Schizm – 150,000 units sold

It ain''t dead!

2DNow - Yesteryears technology at your fingertips! - REDESIGNED!
quote: Original post by llyod
Nancy Drew Series – 500,000 units sold
Crystal Key – 455,000 units sold
Traitor’s Gate – 245,000 units sold
Riddle of the Sphinx – 230,000 units sold
Dracula Resurrection – 170,000 units sold
Schizm – 150,000 units sold

Can we trust these sales figures? I read an article on a gaming site that says games sales are overstated.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Adventure games are extremely linear and do no include killing monsters, shooting guns, or making experience (along all the game that is). The most memorable adventure games to me are definetly "Legend of Kyrandia" and "Monkey Island". And no, I don''t think adventure games are dying. But I don''t really like the "Myst" type of adventure games...

Dunno about that, an innovative design could include all the things you mentioned, and still be an adventure. It really depends; there are few absolutes.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

quote: Original post by Voice Of Tango
Excuse my ignorance/stupidity, but what exactly is an adventure game? A lot of games have a strong element of adventure in them.
I bought Escape From Monkey Island today. Adventure games now have one more to add to their fanbase.

That game is quite hilarious.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement