🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 6 months ago
quote: Original post by DuncanBojangles
Okay, John B. Small, but, if you are only using the direction of the opponent for aiming purposes, then it wouldn''t matter what direction they are facing.

But we''re not only using the direction for aiming purposes - we''re using it for tactics. For example, if we see the enemy bot and know it''s facing away from us, it might be a good idea to try and sneak up behind it before shooting, but if it''s facing towards us, it might be better to just start shooting straight away while running around crazily.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Advertisement
Or if the bot is facing away, you might want to come into range, fire a salvo, and back out of range real quick :-D
If you "see" a bot, can you know how much health he has left?

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I believe the answer to that is no.
Surely ppl cannot be supporting a 1 match round?

The whole point of both this contest and this site is to learn off ppl better than me in various computer programming aspects. And thats the fun part!This competition is also fun , but i dont want my average to poor AI to fluke over the best AI the world has ever seen! Only for their efforts and skills to go un noticed.

Bring on best of 5 games.
This competion is about AI, not a fun raffle with abit of AI on the side.

Pete.

[edited by - BlackEye on July 12, 2003 7:20:17 PM]
quote: Original post by BlackEye
Surely ppl cannot be supporting a 1 match round?

The whole point of both this contest and this site is to learn off ppl better than me in various computer programming aspects. And thats the fun part!This competition is also fun , but i dont want my average to poor AI to fluke over the best AI the world has ever seen! Only for their efforts and skills to go un noticed.

Bring on best of 5 games.
This competion is about AI, not a fun raffle with abit of AI on the side.

Pete.

[edited by - BlackEye on July 12, 2003 7:20:17 PM]

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I fully support the 2 out of 3, or n out of m notion (where n <= m). I mean, that's how a lot of games on the market work: you've got a time limit, and the player to get the most frags or wins in that time period is the winner. The best n out of m would be a good way to fairly judge the quality of a bot. That's why there are two divisions to be judged seperately, beginners and intermediate to advanced. If you don't think you have a chance of competing against an advanced bot, then enter the beginner's contest.

[edited by - CodeDemon on July 12, 2003 7:45:34 PM]
I definately agree that first to die is out is a bad plan. Khawk''s point about learning bots being rubish for the first round while learning how to win the next 2 is valid I guess BUT easy to remedy: Start each round as a new battle in a new arena with the original bots so they can''t remember what happened last round.
Best of n rounds is one option, or first to n frags where you respawn after dying, or have no death but first to score n points. There are slightly different tactical consequences depending which you use but still better than allowing some kind of fluke to win.
quote: Original post by Khawk
Please note that we anticipate this to be a difficult contest. Entrants will probably not be able to program their bot AI using "traditional" AI techniques.
Oh and what does this mean, exactly? We have to use fuzzy logic/neural nets/genetic algos to win?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16
quote: Original post by d000hg
quote: Original post by Khawk
Please note that we anticipate this to be a difficult contest. Entrants will probably not be able to program their bot AI using "traditional" AI techniques.
Oh and what does this mean, exactly? We have to use fuzzy logic/neural nets/genetic algos to win?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

Like Blackeye said, this shouldn''t be a fun raffle with AI thrown in on the side. It''s an AI contest, not a gambling contest.
I think he just means you run of the FSM isn''t gonna cut it. Being the contest is solely about AI, I''d imagine there will be quite a few people who put a good deal of effort into make some rather complex bots. Well designed "Traditional" finite state AI will probably do well, but most likely it wont be the BEST, you understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement