🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 4 months ago
quote: Original post by Xgkkp
Yeah, I wonder that too. Also, Why''d it go non-sticky? this way, no-one else will hear about it

Because it was closed. People will know about it whether they pay attention to this forum or not.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Hey don''t know if somebody already posted this but there is another similar contest that has been going on since late 2000.
The game is to program a bot to kill other bots, it''s in 2D and
the language is JAVA. Check it out:
http://www.cfxweb.net/~jrobots/
quote: Original post by LizardCPP
Hey don''t know if somebody already posted this but there is another similar contest that has been going on since late 2000.
The game is to program a bot to kill other bots, it''s in 2D and
the language is JAVA. Check it out:
http://www.cfxweb.net/~jrobots/

There are about a billion different bot war games. I can remember writing AI in a Pascal scripting language for a bot comp that ran on the old monochrome Mac Classics (and there are earlier ones, I just haven''t played them). By comparision "late 2000" is only yesterday.
quote: Original post by Khawk
Yes, I''m very aware of that, and I''m hoping it will be compatible with most, if not all systems. There will also be a standard way to submit defects and problems. I''m aware of some random defects occurring on certain systems, but it''s very random and only affects testing (sometimes it crashes). It certainly doesn''t prevent the bot from being developed. I haven''t had any problems on any of the systems I have personally tested on (10 different ones).

Will there be a Linux version of the Arena for testing, if I decide to participate? Which is most likely the case anyways, although I''m not sure how to cross-compile DLL''s on a Linux box.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by Michalson
There are about a billion different bot war games. I can remember writing AI in a Pascal scripting language for a bot comp that ran on the old monochrome Mac Classics (and there are earlier ones, I just haven''t played them). By comparision "late 2000" is only yesterday.

The best one of these still being CoreWar and it''s variants.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]
I still like the one I saw where you had to do it in asm (which I assume was then interpreted). This has a big advantage in that you can grant each bot a given number of ''cycles'' in it''s pseudo-assembly regardless of actual time taken. Hence you can run the competition at real-time or as fast as possible to run 1000 rounds/s for a neural bot or something. Although knocking together a C++ interpreted language specially would take some time compared to assembly!
quote: Original post by d000hg
I still like the one I saw where you had to do it in asm (which I assume was then interpreted). This has a big advantage in that you can grant each bot a given number of ''cycles'' in it''s pseudo-assembly regardless of actual time taken. Hence you can run the competition at real-time or as fast as possible to run 1000 rounds/s for a neural bot or something. Although knocking together a C++ interpreted language specially would take some time compared to assembly!

That''s CoreWar.

[Cyberdrek | ]
http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/ <-- UPDATE IT!

thanks
I don''t think he has updated it because this thing is still in the beta stage.

I assume he will update that page (yes it ticked me off for two days aswell as I found the forum and had no idea what it was) when he officially starts the comp.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
quote: Original post by Michalson
quote: Original post by Khawk

Heh, the reason it has to be in C++ is because of the way it was designed.

I''d really be interested in knowing what mechanism somehow prevents non C++ DLLs. DLLs are a standard library format, so long as the headers are correctly made in other languages, the C++ host program will not be able to tell the difference (I direct again to my link on the first page, where I simply converted the C++ header so you could compile Delphi DLL files that had exactly the same interface as the C++ DLLs)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement