🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports

Started by
150 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by smart_idiot
Shouldn''t IPlayer and ICore have virtual destructors?

No, they are abstract classes.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by LoneStranger
I''m not so sure that the walls are being told to the bot correctly.

It seems that when my bot is right up against the left or top wall, it returns that it sees two objects, both walls, with the same coordinates. On the right or bottom wall, I get nothing. Might just be a sign issue or something similar.

£§

I''ll look into it. Determining how to return data on a wall that is really more of a boundary without just giving direct (x,y,z) coordinates and then figuring out a decent implementation is going to take me more time than I would have liked.. The fact that it''s behaving one way on one side of the arena and another way on the other side is somewhat encouraging, however. In fact, as I type this I have an idea what it is.. I think I just have some reversed math.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Russell
Umm, sorry if I missed this (I tried to scan all of the posts). The source code says:

// 5 parameters
bool GetObjectsInSight(int objIdx, int &objectType, float &direction, float &distance, float &objDirection) = 0;

The documentation says:

// 4 parameters
GetObjectsInSight(int objIdx, int &objectType, float &direction, float &distance);

What''s the last parameter objDirection supposed to indicate?

I must have forgotten to update the prototype in the readme. The description (in the latest build) should at least have discussion of the objDirection parameter.

The objDirection parameter returns the direction that the object is facing. Coincidentally, it is always equal to 0.0 unless you are retrieving information about the enemy, as that is the only time the parameter is really useful. It does allow for more future capabilities, though.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by drreagan
quote: Original post by flipper76108
hey thanks for the encouraging words drreagan and particleG. i should have known better than to try and help out around here. just make sure to wipe that jiz off your hands before you pat yourself on the back anymore.

woah woah! i think maybe you misread my meaning there! i wasn''t attacking you at all...i just figured you accidently put an older version of the .dll or something up. because you describe what the bot should do, and on my machine, at least, your bot doesn''t do what you say it should (just sits there and says "learning"). i don''t think particleG was attacking you either...just trying to give feedback. seriously, i apologize if you were offended...come on though, there is no need for lowering the discussion to insults about "jiz" and whatnot.

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

Halfway related..

I think in the next release I''m going to modify the interface a little bit so we know if a DLL is being built with the correct version or not.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by T2k
-walls can only be seend when looking to the left or up (to see the right wall u have to look to the left...)

I have an idea what this one is, so it should be easily fixable.

quote:
-you can see walls not in your fov (distancecheck 4 solving!?)

Related to the above.

quote:
-debug/release timeout switch works wrong way (release disables timeout)

I should have tested it..

quote:
-both tauntstrings (debug/release) are limited to 19chars

I should have tested this one too. I know what I forgot to do, at least.

Thanks for the report.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by OrangyTang
Erm, I get the impression that i''m doing something wrong somewhere because i can''t get the thing to work

I grabbed the 3/8/03 release and unzipped it, yet on starting the gdarena.exe all i get is a window (complete with menu and status bars) and a big white empty space.. The app sucks up about 90% cpu, so after a while i clicked the go button and there was no perceptible change - it just sits their accusingly

Is there some sort of log file i can look at? I tried win2000 compatability mode but that didnt seem to make a difference.

Edit: I get an access violation @ 0xC0000005 if i try to run it in VS''s debugger within seconds of the app starting. Without the source the only other information that it spits out is that the call stack is sitting @ GDARENA! 00401bfa().

[edited by - OrangyTang on August 4, 2003 8:00:44 AM]

Two ideas..

1) Make sure you have the correct download: http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/gdarena/gdarena.zip.
2) Make sure you have downloaded the latest Windows XP service pack (SP 1). I''m assuming you are using XP here, based on your description of the error. It''s the type of error that typically happens on XP machines (XP''s limited OpenGL support in the original build).

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by LoneStranger
I''m not so sure that the walls are being told to the bot correctly.

It seems that when my bot is right up against the left or top wall, it returns that it sees two objects, both walls, with the same coordinates. On the right or bottom wall, I get nothing. Might just be a sign issue or something similar.

£§

I''ll look into it. Determining how to return data on a wall that is really more of a boundary without just giving direct (x,y,z) coordinates and then figuring out a decent implementation is going to take me more time than I would have liked.. The fact that it''s behaving one way on one side of the arena and another way on the other side is somewhat encouraging, however. In fact, as I type this I have an idea what it is.. I think I just have some reversed math.

I just wanted to say thanks, Khawk, for putting in the long hours for all of us whining philistines (i think you''ve gone above and beyond the call of duty).

let us know when you have the wall bug fixed, though! hehe.

on a related note; i was just thinking about how you are representing the walls (if i understand, the walls are referenced by the point on the wall that you are querying that is perpindicular to the bot) and was thinking that it may be a little more useful to return the distance from the point on the wall that the bot''s heading vector intersects (i.e. the point that the bot is looking straight at on the wall) and then, for the direction, returning the angle between the wall''s normal and the bot''s heading.

hmm, wait a sec, actually i don''t think this is such a good idea after all (for example, because you might see a wall, but it might be off to the side, not intersecting with the bot''s heading vector)...well, just brainstorming here. sometimes i come up with crap i guess.

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
Oops, yes i''m on XP and using the latest version. I''m going to try getting updated drivers but i''m pretty sure i''ve got at least SP1 on (can''t remember how to check though..)

Is it possible to get a version with some form of log file? I''d happily compile the whole arena from scratch and debug though it, but i''m guessing you won''t want to be releasing the source to the main exe.
I''m under the impression that the angles returned by GetObjectsInSight for the objDirection parameter are in the [-90...270]. This isn''t a very bad problem anyway, since if you get a value over 180 or below -180, you can clip it to [-180, 180] easily.

ToohrVyk

quote: Original post by ToohrVyk
I'm under the impression that the angles returned by GetObjectsInSight for the objDirection parameter are in the [-90...270]. This isn't a very bad problem anyway, since if you get a value over 180 or below -180, you can clip it to [-180, 180] easily.

ToohrVyk

I'll jot that down as a defect. It should be [-180,180].

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement