🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports

Started by
150 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
Although the trees seem to properly stop lasers, they go right through the rocks...
Advertisement
hmm...possible bug with line-of-sight:

it appears that if the enemy is directly in a line between your bot and some other object (i don''t know about grenades, but rocks and trees, yes) he drops out of site (i repeat, he is in FRONT of the object).

this is from observation only, however (my bot transitions between states whenever he loses sight of an enemy he had just seen, and i get these transitions whenever the enemy moves in front of an obstacle) i plan on testing this more thoroughly. has anyone else noticed this? can anyone else confirm this?

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
quote: Original post by drreagan
woah woah! i think maybe you misread my meaning there! i wasn''t attacking you at all...i just figured you accidently put an older version of the .dll or something up. because you describe what the bot should do, and on my machine, at least, your bot doesn''t do what you say it should (just sits there and says "learning"). i don''t think particleG was attacking you either...just trying to give feedback. seriously, i apologize if you were offended...come on though, there is no need for lowering the discussion to insults about "jiz" and whatnot.

you''re right. my apologies to you and particleG. it was late and i was just trying to help out and your posts touched a nerve regarding one of my pet peeves.

the problem with the bot had to do with the v2 arena addition of the wall as an object which caused the bot to "seek out" the wall during the learning session, since it uses the first found object for rate calculations. when i uploaded the bot i didn''t even know there was a v2 out with this change made.

anyway, i''ve uploaded another version. it''s still the same crappy bot but it should at least do something this time.
hmm...possible bug with line-of-sight:

it appears that if the enemy is directly in a line between your bot and some other object (i don't know about grenades, but rocks and trees, yes) he drops out of site (i repeat, he is in FRONT of the object).

this is from observation only, however (my bot transitions between states whenever he loses sight of an enemy he had just seen, and i get these transitions whenever the enemy moves in front of an obstacle) i plan on testing this more thoroughly. has anyone else noticed this? can anyone else confirm this?

I'd never noticed it before, but I just tested it and you're right, the enemy will go out of sight if there's a tree behind him in line with him and my bot.

However, this only seems to happen with trees, never with rocks - in fact, even when the enemy is behind a rock I can't seem to get him to disappear... maybe my machine just doesn't like rocks...

[edited by - HappyDude on August 4, 2003 8:43:14 PM]
another possible bug:

grenades. im not quite sure yet how to characterize what i''m seeing, as it doesn''t seem to be too consistent, but the distances returned on perceived ''nades seems off. haven''t checked the angles yet...

anyone else?

p.s. on further testing i also only get the line-of-sight bug on trees, not rocks.

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
another possible bug:

grenades. im not quite sure yet how to characterize what i''m seeing, as it doesn''t seem to be too consistent, but the distances returned on perceived ''nades seems off. haven''t checked the angles yet...

anyone else?

p.s. on further testing i also only get the line-of-sight bug on trees, not rocks.

Actually, you''ve found one of the features of the arena...

Grenades have a random velocity.. you won''t always throw it at the same velocity. Why did I do this? If you''ve ever played sports, you''ll know that it''s nearly impossible to throw a ball at the same velocity every single time you throw it. With the same token, it''s nearly impossible to throw a ball and have it hit the same spot on the ground some distance away from you. This is what you are seeing. The grenades have a little randomness added to them..

As for the los tree defect, that''s not really a defect either. I made it so you can''t shoot bullets through rocks, but you can see over them and throw grenades over them. I can always change this if people want rocks to be consider the same type of obstruction as trees, though.

I''m liking this, though.. now you are starting to find out how the arena works instead of real defects.

Admin for GameDev.net.

another possible bug:

anyone else?

ah, nevermind about the "nade bug", that was a stupid error on my part.

quote: Original post by Khawk
another possible bug:

anyone else?

Actually, you''ve found one of the features of the arena...

Grenades have a random velocity.. you won''t always throw it at the same velocity. Why did I do this? If you''ve ever played sports, you''ll know that it''s nearly impossible to throw a ball at the same velocity every single time you throw it. With the same token, it''s nearly impossible to throw a ball and have it hit the same spot on the ground some distance away from you. This is what you are seeing. The grenades have a little randomness added to them..

As for the los tree defect, that''s not really a defect either. I made it so you can''t shoot bullets through rocks, but you can see over them and throw grenades over them. I can always change this if people want rocks to be consider the same type of obstruction as trees, though.

I''m liking this, though.. now you are starting to find out how the arena works instead of real defects.

i don''t think you understood what we were saying about the problem with line-of-sight and trees. the problem is, if the enemy is standing IN FRONT OF (relative to your bot) a tree, the enemy does not show up in the GetObjectsInSight() query. Even though the enemy is right out in the open, right in front of your bot. Let me reiterate:

given this situation:
(your bot) ------- (enemy bot) -------- (tree)

your bot cannot see enemy bot.
however, if the enemy or your bot moves so that it looks like this:

(your bot)------- -------- (tree)
(enemy bot)

your bot can now see the enemy. (the ---- are supposed to be line-of-sight).

quote: Original post by Khawk
another possible bug:

grenades. im not quite sure yet how to characterize what i'm seeing, as it doesn't seem to be too consistent, but the distances returned on perceived 'nades seems off. haven't checked the angles yet...

anyone else?

Actually, you've found one of the features of the arena...

Grenades have a random velocity.. you won't always throw it at the same velocity. Why did I do this? If you've ever played sports, you'll know that it's nearly impossible to throw a ball at the same velocity every single time you throw it. With the same token, it's nearly impossible to throw a ball and have it hit the same spot on the ground some distance away from you. This is what you are seeing. The grenades have a little randomness added to them..

As for the los tree defect, that's not really a defect either. I made it so you can't shoot bullets through rocks , but you can see over them and throw grenades over them. I can always change this if people want rocks to be consider the same type of obstruction as trees, though.

I'm liking this, though.. now you are starting to find out how the arena works instead of real defects.

For the part about not being able to shoot bullets through rocks, it doesn't seem to actually happen - the lasers invariably seem to go through the rocks for me...

[edit: Everything after this was already posted by drreagen, who outposted me ]

And as for the LOS tree issue, I think you misinterpreted what was said... say you have, in a line, Bot 1, Bot 2, then a tree, in that order. Bot 1 can't see Bot 2 because of the tree, even though the tree isn't between them - it's behind Bot 2.

[edited by - HappyDude on August 4, 2003 10:01:30 PM]
No, I understood that one. I was referring to another post about how they can see the enemy through rocks.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement