🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forum merging: DX/OGL and Graphics into one

Started by
6 comments, last by WitchLord 24 years ago
I would like to see the DirectX/OpenGL/Glide/Genesis3D and Graphics Programming and Theory merged into one. Perhaps under the name Graphics Programming and Theory. I think this would be a lot better, as it is sometimes hard to separate theory from API. I''m not sure if it is always wise to do it anyway. I would also like to throw out the parts about DirectX that doesn''t have anything to do with graphics, i.e. DirectInput, DirectMusic etc. Those can be put in the General and game programming forum instead (or somewhere else). I believe it would make it a lot clearer to people as to what really should be asked in the forum. The forum moderator could be either me, Kevin, or both. Anyone else support this suggestion? - WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
Yeah, I've been in favour of splitting off the non-graphical DirectX components for some time. And since 90% of people are using D3D or OpenGL for their 3D anyway, there's not much benefit in separating theory from practice. The API people should still be able to help the software-rendering people and vice versa, anyway.

So I say do it!

Edited by - Kylotan on June 28, 2000 5:43:18 AM
I absolutely agree to this suggestion, because then I'll don't have to look into two different forums to gain one piece of information (yes, I'm lazy :D ).
The other, non-graphics related parts should be put into the related forums, i.e. DirectSound into Music & Audio, DirectPlay into Multiplayer... well, I think you got the point

pi~

hmm... smileys seem not to work in my posts... strange...
help required...

Edited by - The_[PI]_ehT on June 28, 2000 9:27:21 AM
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
Wrong kind of smiley.. use ':' and ')' rather than ':' and 'D'.
Then there are variations such as , , etc.

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
and our eGroup:
http://www.egroups.com/group/dwarfsoft

Edited by - dwarfsoft on June 29, 2000 1:45:51 AM
Personally I like the separate forums. I like looking into Theory and reading about roam, octrees or raytracing. Alot of the questions in the dxogl forum are more of the I can''t get my first dxogl prog to work. I prefer the high level discourse in one forum and coding in the other because I am a lazy Guinness drinking bastard. Don''t make me have to sort through the posts.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Any more opinions on this, or any other specific suggestions for reorganzing the forums? We can do it, but it''ll be a huge undertaking, so unless a lot of people feel a change needs to be made, I''d rather not do it.
Actually I can understand GKW. I take back some of my previous suggestion (unless the majority of you support it ). I and Kevin will just have to decide which of the two forums are the most appropriate for the questions.

Let''s do something simple instead. Change the name of the "DirectX/OpenGL/Glide/Genesis3D" forum to "Graphic APIs", and the description to "API-specific topics about Direct3D, OpenGL, Glide, Genesis3D, and alternative graphic APIs".

That is all you have to do. I can direct non-graphical questions about DirectX to "General and Game Programming Discussion" (or another appropriate forum) instead. There really aren''t that many about them, but the few that are there seem to be a bit off. It is my opinion that this will benefit everyone.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Witchlord domintation is right...I really should stop joking...but maybe for some reason, dave would suddenly give me the DX forum for no reason. (notice my attempts to joke at the same time get me moderation...just like witchlord...)

jk

------------------------
Captured Reality

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement