🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What should a First Person Shooter have?

Started by
33 comments, last by Master Defiant 23 years, 11 months ago
Thanks everyone for the messages!
Your advice will be taken on board and I hope the messages keep coming in.
Advertisement
Can you tell us some specifics Master Defiant. Love the name by the way, it sounds so.. well.. me''ish :-)

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"

Okay, great ideas, but let''s get something clear--the rail-gun is superior to the BFG and every other weapon, hands down. Now, I would offer an opinion, but I don''t feel like it, so don''t ask for one.
-----------------------------1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock." 2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." 3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Dan Quayle4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
What sort of music does people want in the game? Will I make the game action packed with dozen of aliens to kill at once or more of a stealth type game? Another question is how powerful will PCs become news year? What type of aliens and buildings should be in the game?
Ok, presuming that your a confident programmer in 3D and can pull off all of the difficulties included such as collision and physics plus a good team. Here a very loose opinion of mine.

Presuming its a sole game only then:

a. I would like to see the enemies working in teams against me.
b. I enjoy different and creative ideas being put in place when designing aliens. eg the roof suckers from halflife.
c. I like moving maps that trick me so i don''t know whats going to happen next.

If i could take an idea from a mystery movie to explain what i mean about tricky maps:

You take one circular room with one enterance. But the room is split in quads with walls so the individual person standing in the room does not know that the room is circular. Next the room swivals so the individual when walking back out of the room is in a different place BUT they don''t know that the room swivalled whilst they were inside.

I''d love to see these sorts of tricks in games.

We are their,
"Children of the Free"
I would have to say configurable weapons, eg a small laser as the first weapon and as you progress, you get upgrades for it that help it in different areas, eg range, strengh, etc.

Also weapons that will overheat if used frequently,eg a machine gun jams after being used for more than 1 minute straight. Also make it so the person puts down the weapon because his/her arm gets tired. You can''t carry a 50lb rocket launcher for 3 hours.

hope that helps... and good luck!

Shrapnel Games
Moe, thanks for giving me some excellent ideas!
This is truely a great website!

A good FPS should have all of the above, but it also has to be simple.
I think I''d get rather annoyed if I kept having to put down my gun or swap guns because my virtual arm got too tired. Sure, it''s more realistic, but you have to ask yourself if it contributes to the overall gameplay. Trespasser is a good example of what can happen when you try and make things as realistic as possible, but don''t properly consider if it actually helps the gameplay in the long run.

There are some great ideas on this board, but you must remember you will NEVER get them all into your game, no matter how good a programmer you think you are. You really need to asses what is priority, get the fundamentals of your game down first, and leave the extra features to last. That way, if you realise you''ve gone over schedule(and you will), you can scale things back and still have a working game.
Moe - some good ideas, something I always find a bit hard to believe is the ability to carry a pistol, shotgun, double-barrelled shotgun, chaingun, rocket-launcher, plasma-rifle, bfg and still manage to run...

What I loved about Half-life was the fact that 5 enemies could keep me occupied for up to half an hour in one warehouse and I still didn''t get bored. What let it down was the lack of targeting body parts.

Soldier of Fortune, targeting system was great, AI sucked.

Unreal, different enemies had different weaknesses, they didn''t take it far enough, but it was still good. What I''d like to see more is different classes of enemy, again, half-life was pretty good with that. What would be nice is different enemies being better in different environments. So you could fish-people on to land and vice-versa.

I could go on for hours, I''ve spent far too much time on these games... So here''s what I''d like in a sentence:

Half-life''s AI and monster range + Thief''s stealth and AI + Quake III Arena''s graphics + Soldier of Fortune''s Ghoul targeting system + and throw in Unreal Tournaments Team system with some improvements...

Sorry about the length of this post ;-)
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals"
If there anybody around who can let me in on some more innovative ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement