🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What should a First Person Shooter have?

Started by
33 comments, last by Master Defiant 23 years, 11 months ago
One thing that would be good in an FPS is for the AI to interact with each other. It seems like in every game, all the NPCs are after you. Why can''t they be after another NPC at the same time? Thief tried this on some of their levels, and it worked pretty nicely.
Also, in most FPS games like Quake and Unreal, they rely too much on the weapons the player has and not enough on the actual skill of the player. A giant arsenal of weapons are ok, but they take away teh gameplay if there are too many. More games should rely on player skill and not the amount of weapons the player has.
Advertisement
What I would like to see is an FPS with big, open spaces that are bright and well-lit. I''m sick of playing in dark little rooms and corridors.

- Daniel
- DanielMy homepage
That''s one of the reasons I like Tomb Raider. It''s outdoors and well lit. (most of the time)

Most FPS games do this but I thought I''d bring it up: The enemy should not always inharently know where you are and if you''re bad or not. In TRII, if you shoot any of the monks on one level, they''re all after you after that. How do they know you shot one of them? Communication between enemies should rely on the individual being able to communicate to the others (radio, loud speaker, person-to-person) In some games, all the enemy know where you are even if you''re behind a wall. They should had to look right at you to know where you are. They should remember the last position they saw you at and assume you''re still in that area. (with a bit of AI, they could predict where you''re going)

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Come on guys!
I know you can do better than that!
Have settings that are familiar to everybody. That way people will be able to immerse themselves more easily. Most people have been in a office building, but not everybody has been in an army barracks or a jungle. You might consider a school setting, but if there is a school shooting people will point the finger at you.
Have a level that has never been done before, like where you are falling out of the sky (kicked of a plane) and have to get a parachute from one of the bad guys. Anything, as long as its original, not just some zombie-alienbase/planet-shooter.

Just figure out what hasn''t been done and do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement