🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Poll-Who has actually finished a game?

Started by
40 comments, last by Voodoo4 23 years, 11 months ago
Well, I don''t know if this counts, but I recently finished my first thing ever. Its a "Guess the number between one and ten" game programmed in C++ for DOS. I''m working on learning DirectX and windows programming, but it''s a bitch.
Advertisement
I like peanut butter on crunchy toasted rolls, mmm yum. gimmy more yummm yummm.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I''ve finished 2 games on 3.
(Not counting my actual project, which will be finished)
I think it''s a good number 2/3 success...

Hopefully it will go up to 3/4 sometimes in the future

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I have finished one game. That one game was written on the Amiga in ''94 and when I moved over to Windows... it was ported to DOS and then later to Windows9x. It''s even on a CD, a Andre LeMothe thing... the name is KnightsQuest. It was a mind game in which you move around a chess board with a Knight (using the "L" shape movement of the knight) trying to land on all spaces. Once you moved, the last space that you were on is now dead. So... it was kinda fun... and somewhat addicting... until you got all 64. Then again most games are fun untill you beat it

Unfortunatly the biggest project I worked on (for a startup game company) was killed due to funding... It was a RTS and in late ''96 early ''97 time it had very little competition. Oh, well.
I am now working for another startup (more organized) and we are currently nailing down the design of a (you guessed it) MMORPG.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I finished my first big project two years ago. It was a strategical space trade game. Afterwards, I formed a team (4 members) and we''re now doing a RPG/strategy mix wich will have some elements of Elite. Hope this will be finished too one day.
I''ve finished a bunch of DOS games. I''m in the process of finishing a DirectX engine (not to be confused with game as it is just a pretty picture)

Enoch
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
Hi,

I have finished a game in 1987 which was published all over europe and i think also in the us. At these times everything had to be done in pure assembler, and we had to write all of our tools ourself''s. (Shape Editor, Music Editor, Game Editor etc.)
I can agree with the others here in the group which say that the last 10% are the hardest. Nowadays i write "games" for traders in the financial market, but they use real money with my games.

cu

Peter
HPH
Hey Dak Lozar...

I think i played your game a few years ago...
Jep must have been that...was fun for a whole afternoon (then i got frustrated ''cause it was too difficult *g*)

And no, i haven''t finished a game project yet, but i''m in a group of 8 people, and we''re really workin'' hard...
And i think, that if u r in a group it can''t happen that easy that u give up at the last 10%.

game called Paradi-g-m (by Rarebyte)
You might already heard about it...
sorry i can''t give u our web adress, cause the page is down at the moment *grml* :-).

Cya,

Phil
Hey Dak Lozar...

I think i played your game a few years ago...
Jep must have been that...was fun for a whole afternoon (then i got frustrated ''cause it was too difficult *g*)

And no, i haven''t finished a game project yet, but i''m in a group of 8 people, and we''re really workin'' hard...
And i think, that if u r in a group it can''t happen that easy that u give up at the last 10%.

game called Paradi-g-m (by Rarebyte)
You might already heard about it...
sorry i can''t give u our web adress, cause the page is down at the moment *grml* :-).

Cya,

Phil
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
My only finished game is a tetris clone. Well, actually the programming is finished, now I just have to spruce up the artwork (The sound is pretty good though).
I also have a Breakout game that I am abandoning because I lot all enthusiasm on it. Instead of finishing it I am going on to a smaller simpler project that I can finish in no time just so I can say that I wrote a couple of games of the summer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement