🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Here and Now!

Started by
19 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 11 months ago
Reality does suck - the world in it''s current form is pretty boring, but I don''t think creating a game based on the state of the world is quite what DarkMage may be getting at. Perhaps more of the kind of environment that we live in, and trying to weave in some kind of interesting story. I could be wrong tho.

If we were to make an RPG based on my daily life, I can assure you it''d suck as a game. Like someone previously posted, who i could get their name but it doesn''t really matter, we don''t really set our RPGs in any particular period on earth - we just take some of those elements related with that period and make a fanstasy world out of it.
Advertisement
The rules of reality don''t suck. It''s the situations. Gravity is a rule of reality. Tax collection is a situation. In games, we could JUST change situations and perfectly emulate reality, and the result would still be fun.
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
I think that it is quite amusing how millions of people go out and play a "real-world" game like Metal Gear Solid and love it ... but as soon as such a thing is suggested in a genre that is unfamiliar to it, people cringe and assume the worst.

If OTHER games that are based in present-day aren''t about your daily life, what makes you think an RPG set in present-day would be? People often take the world we live in for granted ... the situation of governments and nations, the increasing technology, etc, etc, creates GREAT potential for a really deep but RELEVANT game. I mean, who really gets something out of lurking through a dungeon in an emulated Medieval ages? You might enjoy it at the time, but when you''re done you return to reality. But when a game makes you believe that what''s happening in the game world COULD be happening in the real world (eg, maybe there IS a secret spy group called Foxhound, like in MGS), then you REALLY get into a game.

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
I think it''s important to recognise that the game wouldn''t be based on reality, it would be based on themes and concepts relevant to our time, and also to use things associated with the present time rather than actually physically represent the real world as it is. No RPG is actually based on Medieval times (okay a few) but lots of them take elements from that time and work with that.
Exactly.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
I think it would be good to place an RPG in "today" but you''d definately have to make a twist somewhere.

1. For instance, the world just ran out of oil.
2. Or it''s 2001, but Electricity has yet to be invented.
3. It''s today, but women hold all the important jobs, offices, etc. Men are the sex objects. (Gee wouldn''t that suck! heh heh)

Otherwise, You''re in Our World (hmm I guess somebody already used that one) and that''s plain boring!

If I want to go to work, I''ll live my own life, or just Play Ultima Online and chop wood.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what DarkMage is trying to say is base it on this time and environment.

Example: Instead of running around with a sword, you have a gun.
Instead of riding a horse, you drive a car.
Instead of storming the castle, you're taking a helicopter up to the roof of the 50 story building.

The gun, the car, and the building DON'T have to really exist, but they look and feel like the ones that do exist today. BTW, if this IS what you're talking about, DarkMage, Vampire did this in the last two Acts (really short though) of the game. The settings are last year, London and New York.

Edited by - pacman on July 19, 2000 6:09:21 PM
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
You know what I truly think most RPG Video games are missing out on?

The actual RPGs... I mean, I''d love to see Marvel Comics rebuilt in RPG form. Or maybe Recon, dude, I loved Recon. Maybe a pure Shadowrun, including Matrix and all. Sheesh that would be great. But oh well, I guess I get to keep killing goblins and stuff....

Enoch
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
OK everyone, pacman "got it right"...

The point wasn't to develop an RPG based on my daily life, the whole point was to develop an RPG that took place in modern times.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 19, 2000 7:07:51 PM

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 19, 2000 7:08:45 PM
- DarkMage139
I don''t see why people would make a movie about modern times. I mean, you can''t make daily life interesting...

- gollumgollum

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement