🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Standard Time

Started by
40 comments, last by Freakshow 23 years, 10 months ago
I just want a game which is playable for 600 hours, but can be completed in less time. The variety ought to be enough to warrant a second play... That way you can try a different linear story (pre-scripted linear, but branching ).

Thats all I ask, nothing too complex Just fun

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Advertisement
This isn''t really for/against any one post, but it occured to me while following this topic, so I guess this is the place to post, yeah?

I kind of like the idea of an episodic structure, but not in-game, I mean as a distribution model. (and no, not for all games, but games like Final Fantasy might actually be more palatable this way) Use a single engine for the series, then expand the plot through monthly/bi-monthly serial installments, each affordable ($2.50/5-10hrs. each), but all taken together might actually be more money in pocket than a single game.

Now, I don''t give a hoot about the cash. I''m an amateur developer, and will stay that way until I have the capital to start my own company. But it seems like a win/win situation. (point out my errors, please?) As a player, I would love this! I could easily afford hours upon hours of gaming, and if it was a compelling gameworld, I would be out of my head waiting for the next installment. Plus, developers could do some really cool things w/ it. This post is to long already, but to list one example, you could have something like a persistent single-player world. If a set time period passed between each "episode", you could see characters age, have children, go off to wars, come back a hailed hero, (or just a heel) and the sense of time-scale alone would be awe-inspiring. In a continuous single-player game, the effect of time continuity breaking off every couple weeks to jump a decade could be jarring, but in this kind of subscription model, I have the gut feeling it would feel natural. Ever have that pleasing sensation where you finish one book in a series, then the next has the main char. aged and in a new setting/career, possibly a supporting character? It could be like that.
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement