🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

shades of grey

Started by
23 comments, last by Chokki 20 years, 3 months ago
You bring up a good point though, why is your subC so unstoppable? And more over, are you the only human in Limbo the entire time? I am not quite sure. I don''t have any answer for those questions yet. Any ideas?

Some suggested answers:

Your subconscience might be so powerful because it''s your personal limbo, your personal heaven and your personal hell, where everything manifests as it relates to you.

Or maybe subc minds live partly in limbo partly in a body. Your subc might have been partly responsible for the form error, which at the same time gave it additional law leverage or power of some kind to it. It may have ulterior motives. This could explain dreams away as being ''experiences of the subc in limbo''.

And lastly, I have decided that you do find out that your family dies in the accident. Subway accident, instead of a train. The question is, how would that relate to the whole story, and how would it influence your choice at the end?

Although it''s incompatible with the other answers I am presenting the answer as it came to me as to why your family dying matters:

Your father and sister went to heaven whereas your mother and brother went to hell. Which do you decide to destroy now?

And maybe you could only talk to those on the surviving side and your mother is a neurologist, whereas your father is a psychologist. Who will help you better in battling for your subconscient mind?
Advertisement
quote:
Do you not like the fact that you don''t know why you had to make that choice, or do you not feel comfortable making that choice? The goal of the ending of this game is to make the player feel a little weird, wondering inside why they chose the one they did.

The ending choice doesn''t seem to fit, the choice of how you end up should depend on the choices made during the game. By having the choice at the end it seems to invalidate how you played. Its sort of like I played the whole game dark but I want goto heaven so I''ll choose light.

Ever seen the show lexx? There was an epsiode in season 3 called the beach. Basicly Stanlee tweedled died, and was sent to the beach, a place between the two planets of fire and water. He then had to face a trial where an incarnation of himself sat in judgment of whether he would reinacarnate on the evil planet of fire or the good planet of water. Prince the evil ruler of fire argued that he should goto fire while Stanlee argued that he should goto water. The events of Stans life both good and band where arguded and in the end the judge decided that good he had done did not outway his crimes and so he was sent to the planet fire.

That sort of thing makes a lot more sense to me then ability to change your mind at the last second.

You seem to be going for dark rather then humor so what about something like this at the end. You are judged based on your actions in the afterlife and your justification for those actions.

Judge “What fate do you think you deserve?”

Player “I deserve to be reincarnated!”

Judge "Why should you be reincarnated?"

Player "Because I''ve earned it!”

Judge “You have earned it? Why do you say that?”

Player “For one thing, I liberated the souls the collector had stolen.”

Judge “But you only did that to gain the favour of the attendant so you could leave the central office.”

Player “I still did it, doesn’t that count for something?”

Judge “It does but so do the motivations behind the action. Do you consider what you did to be good?”

Player “Of course without me those souls would have been lost!”

Judge “So you believe only you cold have accomplished the task and therefore your actions was good?”

and so on. The player would have dialogue choices at each of the places where is says player. But the idea is that after the exchange is the players fate is decided based on their actions and justifcations.

quote:
You bring up a good point though, why is your subC so unstoppable?

Like I said in my last post, why should the subC be unstopable? Instead of having it destroying limbo which would no doubt result in the guardians of limbo intervening, why not have it attempting the same thing your doing? Your subC is attempting to be the one reincarnted just as you are. If you are admint on having the save limbo story line, you have ask yourself how is the characts id wrecking havoc? What exactly can it do to that represents a danger and can''t be stopped by others?

quote:
And more over, are you the only human in Limbo the entire time? I am not quite sure. I don''t have any answer for those questions yet. Any ideas?

There would no doubt be shadows, people who have died and are in the process of moving on to their afterlife. But I don''t think there should be anyone else like you around.

quote:
And lastly, I have decided that you do find out that your family dies in the accident. Subway accident, instead of a train. The question is, how would that relate to the whole story, and how would it influence your choice at the end?

I don''t see how it could. Unless the accident was some how related to your id''s power and the destruction its causing...

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
Your subC is attempting to be the one reincarnted just as you are.

Why not give the player multiple personalities, and have them competing to see who gets to be sent back to the body. Say that the fact that they were both sent to the same body to begin with was a clerical gaffe, and that''s why you can''t recover from the coma. The paperwork for this sort of thing doesn''t cover multiple claims to the same body, and so you have to make a case for being more worthy of incarnation than the other guy. Now, your heroism within Limbo and the purity of your intentions can come into play as evidence for your excellence.

In fact, the other "you" doesn''t have to be a villain at all. Why not have him inhabiting Limbo, and trying to earn the right to get the body back? It would be like Batman and Daredevil competing to see who could solve the most crimes in a single weekend. You''d have to solve puzzles, make judgements, and do good in order to pad your case.
maybe it would just be easiest and fairest if at the end of the game when you became completely dark or light would depend on the # of good/bad things you did during the game, and the # of times you used either side for special attacks during battles.

I just don''t want to pressure the player to have to sit there and keep track by himself everything he has done. Maybe if there is a place or an item that he can check how far he is toward either side.

Also, as for the SubC. I figure, yeah, you can''t have been the only person that this has ever happened to. I just want to hold on to the fact that if you can not stop your SubC you will be in trouble. Some sort of second death, bad ending type dealy. And that it will affect more people than just you if you fail. I will have to think some more on that.

I have been thinking also on weapons, enemies, etc. What kind of weapons would you use? I am trying to stay away from "holy water and crucibles" approach, but there might be some holistic items/weapons. I was trying to go with the player using swords and stuff on his own (but most weapons and some items will be alligned with either dark or light) and resorting to the Agents for special attacks, but when he "unites" (for lack of better terms) with dark and light sides, he instead uses the Agents for main attacks and super combos.

Also a side question, I know this game has potential, but how does its replayability value stand from what you know so far? Would you play this game again? also, how do I keep the plot just a little non-linear?

Ok then, thanks!
Quote: Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
You can get replayability by making it a lot of fun, and you can get replayability by leaving a lot of loose ends at the end of the story, and you can get replayability with multiple endings or plot forks. I think your game has the potential for all these things, it''s just a question of implementing them effectively.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement