🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Present your projects that uses AngelScript

Started by
30 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi,

I'm using AngelScript for a picture generator tool. This is not yet a procedural based generator, but rather a sprite based one (you create some place where sprites will appear, and script generates pictures placing textures at these places allowing you to generates sprites combination or animations).

I have to say it was a great thing to discover AngelScript ! (through flipcode news)

Lbas
Lbas
Advertisement
I'll add your Ghoul Engine to the list of users. It doesn't matter to me that it is simple, it is still a testemony of how AngelScript is easy to use. [smile]

I see that you released the source code for the project as well. Very cool, now I can refer to something concrete when people ask for samples on how to use AngelScript.

The Particle API looks cool. I'll have to take a look at that one, thanks for mentioning it.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The Dismount Levels Preview uses AngelScript.
--Jetro Lauha - tonic - http://jet.ro
Cool, another game that uses AngelScript. [smile]

I've seen the old ones before, though I haven't had the chance to try them out. Since you decided to use AngelScript for your latest creation I'll have to find the time to give it a try, don't you think? [wink]

I'll add it to the list of users ASAP.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Well, if you do find time to check it out, please give a glance at the scriptAPI.txt and check if you have anything to comment about it.

Currently it is somewhat of half-direct mapping to part of the C++ code, which I have the feeling that I should probably throw away parts of the structure related to that.

For example, in script code, currently there's need to fetch instance to game app object, then fetch instance to physics world instance from the game app and then you can e.g. find objects from the physics world. All this is of course preferably done in onInit() for a given level.

But I think that maybe I should straighten the scripting API on a few places so that there might be just global functions instead of class methods for everything which is normally related to only an singleton instance of an object.

Any other ideas how to simplify scripting side but still maintain great deal of flexibility for doing wide variety of different things for levels? Currently my script API is clearly quite oriented for people who already know how to code at least to some degree, and are of course familiar with C/C++/Java style syntax (due to AS). If possible, I'd like that the scripting API would be so that it might be possible to make a bit simpler actions to levels with knowing only bare essentials of programming or so.
--Jetro Lauha - tonic - http://jet.ro
I've been looking for a scripting language for my upcoming game engnie. After finding AngleScript, I don't think I'll use anything else. Keep up the great work!

cheers,

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...
jetro:

I did get the time to check out the game yesterday. It is an interesting idea, but I think that you have to make it easier to control to make it really fun. Not sure how, but right now I felt that the player doesn't really have control over how the ragdoll is thrown around.

I think that the scripting interface is ok. You might be able to streamline some functionality somewhat, but any scriptwriter would still have to use the manual to know how to alter the game. As an idea, you might want to expose the game object and the physics world as global properties to the script. That would eliminate the need to call getGameObject() and getPhysicsWorld().

I wouldn't worry about the syntax too much either. For someone that has never programmed before a script written in &#106avascript or VBScript looks very much the same. It is never the syntax that prevents a beginner from learning, it is the ability to think in the ways of programming with functions, variables, etc.<br><br>Scourage:<br><br>Excellent to hear. I hope we'll get to see the result soon enough. [smile]

Don't forget to present your projects. I like to see where my library is used.

I have started working on my new 3D game engine and I have planned to use AngelScript this time for the engine. I dont however have any cool screenshots of the engine to show at the moment.

Welcome, AxoDosS. I'm happy you found AngelScript good enough for your purposes. Make sure to let us know when you have something to show. I'd like to put a link to your project on the users page.

I checked out your homepage. You have some impressive projects there. I'm sure your new 3D game engine will be just as impressive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement