🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good game design dosent matter

Started by
41 comments, last by cliffski 23 years, 10 months ago
Wav,
I see what you''re saying. That seems like a good compromise.
-----------------

Yeah, I knew you''d say that eventually, dwarfsoft.

It''ll be interesting to check out your game when it''s finished.

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Yeah, Wav, don''t worry. I''m not offended, in fact, I rather like people who play devil''s advocate. But I''ve had my fair share of problems on this board with people who ignore what I''m saying just because I''m me. They just launch into a "You suck and should die" kinda thing without considering what I''ve said. Kinda sucks.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

Hmmm... You could just pretend to do what people want, get them into a rythm and then shock them. I always prefer shock tactics to really get people emotional in a game

You know, there might be something to this. I hear that the folks who did renaissance painting for some rich benefactor actually did all the work they wanted to do in the background of the commissioned painting. So if they were tasked to paint some guy''s mistress or son or whatever (which they didn''t really care about), they''d do that in the foreground, then do the stuff with perspective and shadow that they were really interested in doing behind them...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Landfish

Yeah, Wav, don''t worry. I''m not offended, in fact, I rather like people who play devil''s advocate. But I''ve had my fair share of problems on this board with people who ignore what I''m saying just because I''m me. They just launch into a "You suck and should die" kinda thing without considering what I''ve said. Kinda sucks.

Gotcha. No, I really appreciate some of the post you''ve generated. I particularly like stuff that''s contrary to how I think, as it''s the only way I''m gonna grow as a designer.

I think I sometimes come across a bit strongly because I''m fervent in my design beliefs. But I''m glad to meet a fellow fanatic (uhhh, errr, Avatar in your case )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

I used to think there was some value to everybody. That they could each contribute in some way.

But now I''m older and more cynical. After working in corporate hell for a few years I am convinced that there are some people who either can''t or won''t add to the common existence. A whole chunk of stupid and useless people.

Heh. It''s been said that scientists are wrong about the nature of the universe: The most common component isn''t hydrogen, it''s stupidity...

Guess my only problem is that no matter how smart I might think I am, there''s always somebody above me, and a few of them likely think and act like we''re all quite stupid.

quote:
But none of that has to do with why I design (games). I design because that is who I am. I think of things in terms of systems and elements. Sit around and talk politics and I''ll be constructing a vision of game mechanics called ''Get the electoral vote''. I vomit forth notebooks of systems designed to model human behavior, particle physics, economics, magic, you name it.

Hahaha, I''m not the only one. I''m tellin'' ya, that election game would rock. When to lie, what promises to keep, what voters to ignore, when to drop that October Surprise!!

quote:
Games are a convenient medium to evolve these ideas and see them play out. You can sometimes draw interesting conclusions from the models, but mostly they''re just abstract systems. If you derive enjoyment out of them too, then that''s just gravy. If I can earn a living doing it, that''s bonus gravy.

I agree. I''m trying to model empire expansion and social dynamics right now, and it''s really fun. I won''t get paid for it but it''s still fun.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
Do I hear the words "Quake 3 Arena"? Sure it was a cool game, but it didn''t have a really well thought out design/story.

But Quake3 worked.
Wolfenstein has gone into history as a classic game. Art.
Good design.
No bells or whistles, a consistent game that''s fun to play, with a flimsy story that you can make of what you want.

Heck, I think Wolfenstein''s a better roleplaying game than Diablo.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
The only reason Orson Wells died poor was coz he was bumming around France and Italy with Picasso, filming women.

As Mr Cup always says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Uh, jsut in case, I was doing sarcasm in my first post ! I think it''s a french thing, because most of my irish friends keep telling me we french are very sarcastic all the time ...

anonymous : you might want to check out the Darwin Awards and make yourself feel better

I coded DaiKatana, and for my hair, I use Loreal, because I am worth it !

dak lozar : I wouldn''t refer to playing EQ or UO as a good thing for a designer... it smells the "I loved that game, and I am gonna do it better !". I know I sound mean, but honest , it''s for your own sake

Be different ! Think Pears !

chronos : aaaah I love it when I see other people''s ideas all convege to the same conclusion
I think we are converging to the question of Game making as an art form. Do you create for yourself, to express something, or
**mad headbanging over my keyboard due to the uncontrollable spasms provoked by Limp Bizkit**
do you follow the market rules, the laws of demand and supply, do you worship the Ancient God Doh Lahr ...

"
*in a meeting room, a table of executives*
OK guys, do we have a Taco Bells menu ?
-Slug Taco, you put salt *guy puts salt on a slug put inside a taco*, it shrinks.
-Perfect. Toy ?
-The slimy slug, its spongy, it giggles, and *throwing the slug on the window* it leaves a nice trail of slime.
-Perfect. And what about the movie, do we have a script ?
-Uh, I can have Gary write it for tomorrow morning ?
*every body looking themselves, laughing*
-Perfect.
"
Drink different, drink Pepsi !

Wavinator : I like the comparison with Aikido But tell me, can you flow with the player''s brainwaves and make him use his brain against his will ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by Wavinator

(snip)
...I''ve just met so many people that automatically assume that because their tastes do not run mainstream the mainstream is somehow beneath them. I myself had this attitude, which is why I relate, but I now know it to be incorrect (and hence my line to you below the "stupidity" remark)

What we all need a dose of

Dave"Dak Lozar" Loeser

GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement