🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good game design dosent matter

Started by
41 comments, last by cliffski 23 years, 10 months ago
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicy animals and you know it" - K, MIB

It seems that everytime I go against the flow, I get burned.

When I was younger, I saved up enough money to get a good game system. I went to Toys ''R'' Us and looked at each system they had. I could have chosen from Nintendo, Sega, or TurboGraphix 16. After looking at the quality and price of the games, I decided that the TG 16 was the best deal. Soon the games became fewer and fewer. In no time, the TurboGraphics wasn''t even being sold at all.

Had I gone with the Nintedo system like every other kid in my school, I''d have gotten lower quality games which cost more, but at least I''d still be able to get them.

It''s the same reason that PCs sold better then Macs. For the longest time Macintoshes were a much better computer then an IBM compatable. However, everyone bought an IBM because that''s what everyone else had. (that wasn''t a rant. I just thought I''d mention it. )

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by ahw

Wavinator : I like the comparison with Aikido But tell me, can you flow with the player''s brainwaves and make him use his brain against his will ?

youpla :-P

Hahaha! I''m working on it, but you know players. They''re a stubborn lot!!!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by dog135

When I was younger, I saved up enough money to get a good game system. I went to Toys ''R'' Us and looked at each system they had. I could have chosen from Nintendo, Sega, or TurboGraphix 16. After looking at the quality and price of the games, I decided that the TG 16 was the best deal. Soon the games became fewer and fewer. In no time, the TurboGraphics wasn''t even being sold at all.

Had I gone with the Nintedo system like every other kid in my school, I''d have gotten lower quality games which cost more, but at least I''d still be able to get them.

It''s the same reason that PCs sold better then Macs. For the longest time Macintoshes were a much better computer then an IBM compatable. However, everyone bought an IBM because that''s what everyone else had. (that wasn''t a rant. I just thought I''d mention it. )

I''m an old Amgigan From 1987-92 I was completely sold on that machine. I would do it again even if I knew that Commodore was going to F*ck things up royal (better said two people at the top did the Fuc*ing). What I learned from that machine was that computing could be fun, it didn''t have to be complicated and that given these two prerequisites... anyone could "use" a computer!

Going down the road less traveled... most people still find their way. The experiences that you gain from those seemingly bad choices leave more of an inpression on you than if you had blindly followed the crowd.

Today, 13 years later, I''m a (professional) programmer that knows another OS. I''ve used (many flavors of) Unix, AmigaOS, NeXT, and I''m now using QNX''s RTP. I''m also a rather decent Win32/MFC coder.

Those wrong roads have broadened my horizons on what computing can and should be and I use them everyday.

Dave"Dak Lozar" Loeser

GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement