🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How copy protection can destroy a game

Started by
34 comments, last by felonius 23 years, 9 months ago
Sorry, but I still disagree

quote: Original post by MadKeithV
Money is one of the best things ever invented for sharing of goods, it''s a standard that everything can be measured to.

Ok, but the key word in your sentence is "sharing", do you see much "sharing" in our society as it is ?
Oil got expensive because some don''t have what they need and are forced to go on strike to show their disagreement with how things are done.
Scarcity of ressource ? Like I said, everyday food is destroyed because there is too much of it to sell it, same for many other things. Milk is reduced in powder and stored because there is too much of it, tomatoes get thrown in the rivers or burned... Scarcity of ressource indeed...
I would like the system to change, true, but I think it would benefits everybody.
(If i remember the most valuable product these days is ... the money : buy money sell money and become richer)

------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Advertisement
quote: Original post by DungeonMaster
Ok, but the key word in your sentence is "sharing", do you see much "sharing" in our society as it is ?

Everything you buy or sell is sharing your resources with someone else.

Oil got expensive because some don''t have what they need and are forced to go on strike to show their disagreement with how things are done.

That''s your take, my take is that oil got expensive because of demand pressure - there was less oil available for the same demand, which automatically pushes up the price. People are willing to pay more to have their precious resource oil, a very valuable commodity. Because of the way the economy works, richer people can afford more oil ~ thats the value of money. If you want more oil, BUY more oil. If it gets too expensive for you, tough, you''ll have to do without, OR, it could be classified as an essential commodity, and be subsidized for lower incomes.

Scarcity of ressource ? Like I said, everyday food is destroyed because there is too much of it to sell it, same for many other things.

Okay, so next time you can''t finish your McMegaSomethingWithLotsOfCheese, put a stamp on it and send it to africa. Economics dictate that sometimes it isn''t viable to send stuff somewhere else. The food produced here might have turned bad by the time it reaches the places where it''s needed. There''s another economic reality: shipping surplus food from here to poor countries will NOT benefit the poor countries, as they will sell the food right back to you at prices much lower than your own market, putting your OWN farmers out of business.

You should take an economics course perhaps... it''s sobering, and saddening, to see why some of the things that seem so obvious are impossible.
I''d much rather have a world with no hunger as well, but NOT at the cost of my own welfare.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I don''t think any more economic courses may change my mind on this... Well I don''t think we could reach an agreement on this, so i will drop the subject. Perhaps I am too much of an E.T...
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
So you are saying that you don''t need to know the current state of things and the massive body of theory on world economics to make sweeping statements on how you can change the way it all works?

If only it WERE that easy man...
You need to know before you can do. Find the problem before you think of a solution.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
You know, I have had economic course, and these theories are not from me... Have you ever read Marx ? And don''t tell me about Lenine or Staline, they were just as bad as Napoleon or Hitler...
Nowadays, nothing as a value per se, all is based upon money. What is human life worth ? It depends of your insurance company... A broken leg : 1000$, handicaped for life : 10000$
Money, at the beginning was just an exchange commodity, now it represents the power some have over others. It should not have a worth in itself.
Ah, you just started me again...
Okay, now you have completely lost me - you've constantly presented (or implied)marxist ideas, I've been trying to show why they were wrong, and now you talk as if I was advocating them... I'm sorry, but I really don't follow...

Anyway, enough in this topic, this should go to the lounge now... continue it there if you want to go on.

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 14, 2000 7:59:17 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement