🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Omnipresent omnicide

Started by
24 comments, last by Maitrek 23 years, 9 months ago
Some more Einstein quotes ?

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, scince for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." -- Albert Einstein

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I''m not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Advertisement
Einstein was a cynical guy, wasn''t he? I like that in a person
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

But seriously, there''s one big issue about game design many people don''t realise, this issue is one big reason why games don''t seem to be going anywhere. Any game that wishes to sell well must consist of a Game Design that allows for impressive graphics to be used (the game design must accommodate the use of amazing graphics). This is becuase people (even myself) think that they can make some sort of intelligent desicion about a game by looking at the screenshots and reading the back of the box. It''s a hard habit for all of us to break especially when you think you are actually good at these sorts of judgements. So what do you suppose we do about it then?

Aaarrrgh!!! This even happens to me! I went into Electronics Boutique (computer store here in the US), picked up several games, and mostly looked at screenshots. I think I do this out of cynicism, because I get the impression that they''re all mostly the same game. Few of them seem to bother to put gameplay details on the back anyway, so what else are you going to go by in the store.

It''s a good argument for checking out online reviews first, of course... but sometimes you don''t get a chance to do that...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
If violence was seriously the only subconcious desire worth fulfilling, SpazBoy_the_Mitey, then I think that we as humans should''ve been round up and exterminated ages ago. It''s that problematic attitude which is dragging the indursty further and further into creative collapse.

I''ve been killing people (in my imagination) for about 10 years now, which is a bloody long time. I''ve been exposed to it probably since I was about 7 playing Wolfenstein 3D, or further back, Catacombs Abyss - I guess you could say that I''ve been vrought up on a healthy dose of imaginative violence. I can tell you one thing, it''s totally boring now. I actually found myself frustrated playing any game nowadays because they all have one thing in common, you have to shoot and dominate.

If I thought that violence was the only thing that could possibly make a game, then I wouldn''t have started this thread.

I mean - how many other things can make a game apart from violence? A crapload! Violence isn''t even a very great power if it''s simulated realistically, it''s a burden and a curse if you are a person that exhibits often in real life or in your imagination. What do other people think can constitute a decent game that can appeal to people desiring some action or some adventuring without having to bash heads in?

I too wish that game design didn''t have the necessity of making things flash and spin. It''s annoying but I think there''s plenty of oppurtunity in making a extremely powerful graphics engine to create an atmosphere that can be used for non-violent gaming purposes. Take 7th Guest for example, or Blade Runner (although blade runner did have killing in it, I think it also looked at the justification behind acts of violence of those individuals in society who are shunned and oppressed).
Maitrek, this is easier to do than you think. Just look at violence and how it works. It''s an act that produces one result. The reason why its used in games is becuase we fear it. If we didn''t fear it then we wouldn''t be interested in it. It also is the simplest way to promote as fast as possible a sence of power. If you can find some other way the promote a sence of power in you''re game other than violence then you have a very good method of producing games that have the same enjoyment and entertainment as violent games. Its worth working out.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
The dark side of the force is seductive...

Personnaly, I am feeling violent sometimes, and then a good fps allows me to evacuate this violence somewhat (so does an action movie). So creative violence, when used with caution and when you can make the difference between the real and the game can be a tool as another.

Still I agree that it is overdone, as money rewards, or consummerist attitude (I have to have this sword +3 against red dragons). It gives us a good overview of the disease of our society. Not it is up to us to try to change the message.

Paul, I wonder are you so addicted to power ? Dont''t forget power is corruption and ultimate power is ultimate corruption

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
quote: Original post by DungeonMaster
Paul, I wonder are you so addicted to power ? Dont''t forget power is corruption and ultimate power is ultimate corruption

I believe that it''s only the weak that are corrupted by power. Power is our ultimate challange NOT goal.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Bah! What do you all know about power!
[lets mouse pointer hover over the "delete thread" button ominously]

Just kidding!
But just look at the feature list thread to see what people come up with when asked for features in a game.. *sigh*

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Perhaps we should agree on a definition of power, but I agree this isn''t the place to talk about it...

As for "ultimate challenge", I prefer to define my own as advancing on the path of life. Striving for the inner-balance as well as the outer-balance. My main opponent is myself

Lets all chant the mantra of peace : Oooom Ooooom

Perhaps this why when feeling violent I dont''t go bashing real people, no much point in bashing yourself.

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement