🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Omnipresent omnicide

Started by
24 comments, last by Maitrek 23 years, 9 months ago
Whoah, was that Landfish up there implying that he''s Einstein?
Advertisement
The use of violence in video games and especially FPS, has always just been about laziness. The game designers, if we can call them that, couldn''t see past Doom or Quake and just made their games more violent with more weaponry.

When I design my games, the violence side has always been the thing I think of last. I design the characters, the gameworld, the game mechanics, etc, beforehand. Killing things is unfortunately crowd pleasing and when dealing with publishers, it is hard to do anything outwith the norm.

In one of my (unimplemented) designs, the violence exists only in certain key sections and then only against people who are truly evil. You don''t even have to kill them, it is an open ended game. If you take a situation where a loved one is in danger, wouldn''t you be predisposed to violence to resolve the situation? It is this nature that I am trying to capture effectively. I want a game where I can be the perfect human or the most violent git I can but be rewarded and punished accordingly.
To know recursion, first you must know recursion.
Why not explore themes that are seen in films. I mean we are doing action films to death here in game design, but what about things like horror, or thirllers or something where the player is not exploring something of a hunter syndrome but where the suffer a hunted feeling, like more or less horrifying the player, or twisting the psychology of the character they play in order to make the player disgusted or something and then see how the player can control the character and make the character react.

I dunno.
Sorry Maitrek, i don''t want to mess up your thread here but in reply quickly to what was responded from my previous post... if you think about what i said you''ll understand better what people are really saying when they talk about working under "weak managment and/or direction" I just had to finish this off

quote: By Maitrek
.Why not explore themes that are seen in films. I mean we are doing action films to death here in game design, but what about things like horror, or thirllers or something where the player is not exploring something of a hunter syndrome but where the suffer a hunted feeling, like more or less horrifying the player, or twisting the psychology of the character they play in order to make the player disgusted or something and then see how the player can control the character and make the character react.

Remember the old classic shows like "Get Smart" "Dr Who" "Time tunnel" "Lost in Space". Why not make theme''s for games like these old time tv shows had for theme and storyboard. That''d be great i think. I''d personally love to do a "Get Smart" type of rpg taken from a playability of games like "GTA" or "Quake".

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
It''s not totally destroying the thread, it''s just we need to start raising the average imaginatative IQ of a game designer. Sure, we could add in scripts and hollywood writers to the game, but fundamentally that''s not going to change what the game''s action is based on.

Until we change the means in which a game entertains there is going to be no room for script improvement to have any effect. This is my fundamental problem, the term game has really become synonymous with "aggressive outlet", which I think leaves little room for a plot or storyline anyway (this is kinda off topic and concerning the threads lately about how imperitive it is we get writers in to make games better).

I''m sorry writers, you can''t fix it. At the moment we haven''t even got the GAME designing pipeline flexible enough to accomodate for addiotional elements to be put into the game. I''m also utterly appaled at what Blizzard have decided to do with Warcraft III. Instead of practically inventing a genre and creating something new for the gaming community, they have gone with the old tried and true method. Who here thinks that their new approach is going to allow for any advances in the game designing process, or even allow for as strong character based experience? It''s crap, it''s sad to see a big game developer get pushed around by marketing forces *AGAIN*.

I hope they get an even colder reception than Tiberian Sun, from reviewers and gamers alike.
I wouldn''t exactly call Dr Who a hollywood type of production. I think there a lot to be learnt from some of these show in relation to what you''re talking about.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement