πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Whe will I find a game like this available?

Started by
23 comments, last by Imperitus 23Β years, 9Β months ago
Another post by MadKeithV the Human Spellchecker!
Forgive me this dalliance, but I am having a bad day and need to blow off steam some way or other.

quote: Original post by Imperitus
... a three four page descrition ...

That's description, not descrition.

Now I just hope somone with the capabilities makes it.

Someone, not somone.

... thit would work well ...

This, not thit.

Maybe we'll see stuf liek this when consouls start having high sped internet...

Stuff, not stuf. Like, not liek. Consoles, not consouls. Speed, not sped.

Not bad, more spelling errors than sentences..
*grins*
And your FIRST language should be english, being from the USA.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<Γ©!t|-| ~

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 21, 2000 10:55:08 AM
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Advertisement
{Edited by MadKeithV - mentions of the word "arse" in any connection to the moderator is not allowed in my Forum. Signed : MadKeithV The Game Design Dictator.
Ps. You really should look into getting a sense of humour ( and spelling ) Imperitus... everyone else understood that I was just being annoying 'cause I was having a bad day.
}

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 22, 2000 3:59:09 AM

----------
Perhaps I was having a bad day to. Ah well.

Edited by - Imperitus on September 22, 2000 2:16:39 PM
I played the beta for 10SIX and it was pretty much what you described it was generally a first person shooter, but you could build buildings through a rts view. It was okay but it sort of sucked. I can''t wait for Sovereign, it looks a lot better
Damb(sic) MadKeithV,
U(sic) r(sic) haveng(sic) uh(sic) bod(sic) dai(sic)

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Check Out: GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

Forgive me this dalliance, but I am having a bad day and need to blow off steam some way or other.

LOL

Keep up the good work MadKeithV
To stay on-topic

I think the real problem with this kind of games is not the design itself, but the massive horsepower you will need to keep the game running at an adequate level for hundreds or even thousands of players, even when they''re offline.
Sure, in Roller Coaster Tycoon you can keep up with thousands of little people, but when making some kind of Real Life-simulation you will have very many different parameters and good AI to get it all right.
So, I think this kind of game will certainly have a future (I''m thinking about putting on a VR-helmet and live your life on a server somewhere else), but not in the near future, I think the solid games will be available in about 5 years or so.
That was what I’m asking about mostly. This sort of game would require server power that would make Blizzards diablo 2 effort look small. So in addition to wondering when someone will develop the game I am wondering when the hardware will make it possible. I really think 2-5 years will be enough, but even then it’ll be a challenge.
Okay, don''t flame me...
There is this game called Battle Cruiser Millennium a sequel to the game Battle Cruiser 3000ad. I know you probably heard some bad things about BC3000ad, but I''m looking forward to the new Battle Cruiser with the updated graphics, gameplay.

In BCM you will get to control Space Ships travelling from planet to planet in a persistent universe. If you enjoy planet side operations you can take control any in game personel from ship commander to an elite marine (with fatigue modeling, location damage...), you can drive humvees, operate missles, fly interceptors... In fact since the game universe is persistent you could hop on a A.I controlled space craft and travel to different planets (hitching a ride).

The game will feature several career path. They are:

Space Commander: A captain of a space ship. you do whatever you want. You are the commander of a battle cruiser which has 12 interceptors, 4 space shuttles, 40 marines.

Elite Space Marine: You are a planet-side marine. Again yo do whatever the heck you want to.

Interceptor pilot: You get the idea...

BCM is comming out later this year, it will support up to 16 players of the internet. 3000ad (the compnay making this game) will set up persistent servers (keeping track of status and stuff).

Battle Cruiser Online is coming out some time next year, it will feature up to 1000 player in an online persistent universe.

Please, don''t judge this game by it''s take-2 fiasco. Wouldn''t you want to play a game like this? Let''s hope 3000ad will succeded in creating the ultimate space simulation.

check them out at:

http://www.bc3000ad.com/home.shtml

Sounds interesting. I''ll check it out.
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

Original post by Imperitus
… a three four page descrition …

That's description, not descrition.

Now I just hope somone with the capabilities makes it.

Someone, not somone.

… thit would work well …

This, not thit.

Maybe we'll see stuf liek this when consouls start having high sped internet…

Stuff, not stuf. Like, not liek. Consoles, not consouls. Speed, not sped.

Not bad, more spelling errors than sentences..
*grins*
And your FIRST language should be english, being from the USA.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<Γ©!t|-| ~

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 21, 2000 10:55:08 AM

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Not everyone has trouble free typing. See my lounge topic. Pompous arse.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

Edited by - furby100 on September 22, 2000 1:06:33 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement