🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problems running demo OpenGL ES app

Started by
14 comments, last by lornfalcon 19 years, 8 months ago
I downloaded all the relivent bits (SDK, OGLESExtension dll) and placed them in the right dirs Ran the emulator, selected the right profile pointed the 'mif' dir to the demo Opengl ES's dir tried to run the demo and all I got was a message saying the application had been disabled to save space and asking me if I would like to restore it now. I select 'restore' and it does nowt [sad] I did try to run the demo pre-installing the extension and pre-switching devices (yeah, a case of too much haste, not enuff speed), coz this have shafted things up, thus stopping it working?
Advertisement
The device will give you that message if it couldn't find a .dll file. You need to build the OGL workspace. There is another problem though, which I still can't find a solution. After building a dll (Release or Debug mode), and run the sample, the program (the simulator) crashes saying things like "access violation, memory could not be read, etc etc" [sad]
ah, didnt see that bit in the docs [oh]
I figured it out when I poked around the VS add-in. It seems to be giving the same message. It turns out the simulator requires two files, the .mif and .dll.

Still this darn crash. Can't get the OpenGL ES sample to work. Could it be Blackcap16 doesn't support OpenGL ES?
alnite

In the docs it says that if you have a memory access violation while running an emulator that means that something is wrong with the program. Not allocating or deleting properly. But the sample program they provide should be working fine, right? So I don't know.
Blackcap16 is (for now) the emulator to use for development (see the FAQ thread). It works.

If you're crashing and NOT running Blackcap16, that's why - none of the other phones that come with the BREW SDK support 16-bit color (I believe).

Failing that, I guess check your setup against Michalson's advice in the main contest thread...
Quote: Original post by faseidman
If you're crashing and NOT running Blackcap16, that's why - none of the other phones that come with the BREW SDK support 16-bit color (I believe).

No, running Blackcap16 and crashing. I did all Michalson's steps.
I'm getting the same problem ('saving space, press restore', press restore, no effect), with a basic app generated by the app wizard (no modifications at all).

As far as I can see, I have the .dll, and the .mif file.
I have successfully compiled an application which I have working in the Simulator. The Simulator itself is quite fussy and the warning message that often (as is nearly always) appears relating to mixed case directory and filenames is a bloody big clue to whats wrong. Equally the documentation is very sketchy as to where to place the files during development.

Here are my top tips for getting an application working under the visual studio development env... (FYI .NET 2002 Dev Env)

1. Keep all your directory names lower case.
2. Keep all you filenames lower case. As in all dev files, and all assocaited BREW files .mif, .bar, .bid.
3. Lets imagine we have the following dir structure...

c:\dev\brew\samplegame1\Debug

the MIF file should go in the c:\dev\brew dir
all other files (as in compiled dll, .bar, .bid) should go into the c:\dev\brew\samplegame1 folder

After much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth this is the structure which I have found works for debugging my app within VS...

So I have ...

c:\dev\brew\samplegame1.mif
c:\dev\brew\samplegame1\samplegame1.bid
c:\dev\brew\samplegame1\samplegame1.bar
c:\dev\brew\samplegame1\samplegame1.dll

And life is peachy ... now I just need to learn OpenGL ES !

[Edit]
Forgot to mention, in the Simulator I point the directory to c:\dev\brew, click apply and all is good. Hope this helps someone.
What do .bid and .bar files do anyway? Can't seem to figure it out. I am running a "Hello World" app without those two and it seems to run just OK.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement