🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sword Fighting - RPG

Started by
77 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 8 months ago

"Well, in my game, you won''t be fighting 5 enemies at once and live. How the hell are you going to do that if it''s realistic? "

It''s not impossible, its all circumstantial though. If the terrain is in your favor you could do it, if you have element of surprise you might do it, if they suck ass and you rule you could do it, if you have a machine gun and they all have bare fists and no cover you could do it, but it depends on how the game is set up too.

But you''re right, in a ''fair'' fight (not really fair if its 1 vs 5) where the terrain is even, there''s no surprises, equal skills and weapons, etc. then the one guy would never stand a chance.However, I think it would be dumb to remove the possibility of winning against all odds ( isn''t that what makes a good action/adventure hero? even if it is unrealistic ) since that would be equally unrealistic.
Nothing is difficult, only the mind makes it so.
Advertisement
Well, from what I''ve read you are trying to make another (more RPG''ish) Bushido Blade. I have to add my vote to a couple other people''s about it being a very realistic game, in many ways.

As was said, in BB you can choose 3 stances, and in each stance you have 4 (main) commands. Attack High/Mid/Low or Parry, you can also run or walk in any direction, and jump, throw dirt or snow, or a secondary weapon. Your arms and legs can be broken, but most hits are a killing hit. The weapons include(d) the katana, long sword, saber, rapier, naginata, sledge hammer, broadsword, and a couple others I cannot remember .

Unfortunetly the game didn''t have a couple things I''d have liked it to had, though it had reasons to not have them (I still loved the game). Shields would add a very different feel to the game, as would light/heavy armor, and ranged weapons (besides throwing stars and daggers). I''ve always imagined the most realistic sword combat game including the ability to change the arc and angle of your swing, though this is probably way too complex, even for a 3D game .

Anyway, just my comments and input, or whatever you call my meandering... =P

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
quote: Original post by CrankDude

However, I think it would be dumb to remove the possibility of winning against all odds ( isn''t that what makes a good action/adventure hero? even if it is unrealistic ) since that would be equally unrealistic.

It depends completely upon the context of the game. If a game is supposed to be realistic, then it should be as much as it fits into the theme of the game. If a game is supposed to be unrealistic and fantasized, then making the hero be unrealistically powerful is just fine as long as it fits into the theme of the game. Dammit, I feel like I am spouting the words of the Landfish here.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

Nazrix, the yet-to-be-determined-cool half-liberitarian half-not-nihilistic-anymore-but-plain-confused messiah
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
back to the practice thing real quick. Bushido Blade used a one-on-one battle just like the regular game, only with wooden weapons. That was the only difference, the weapons looked wooden. Other than that, the players still spurted blood when they got hit. I think a training session shouldn't exactly be a normal fight, I think it should be a chance to try to work on combos and fight when you want to.

Okay then, what else were we talking about. Alright, yes, I like the idea of armor and shields. But blocking with a shield is much different than blocking or parrying with your weapon. When you block with a shield, you're looking to stop the weapon cold. When you block with your sword, you do much the same thing, but you also push it off of you. When you parry you are basically trying to push the attack off to the side instead of stopping it. Blocking with your weapon should take the most strength, blocking with your shield should be slower to execute (to justify the difference in difficulty in use) and parrying should be really easy. Weapon blocking should never knock a ranged weapon out of the air, your only chance would have to be your shield or sidestepping. Also, there is dodging the attack completely, but only real fast characters can do this.

Also, what if you have two identical characters, with identical weapons, armor, stats, etc. and they throw the same attack at the same time (happens a lot more than you think, just play Bushido Blade and you'll see) and they lock swords. In Bushido BLade all you could do was engage in a pushing match. What if instead you could kick and punch and head butt to try and overpower your enemy?

Bowowow yipeeyo yipeeyay

[IFRAME Edited out by MadKeithV]

Edited by - MadKeithV on October 24, 2000 2:56:25 AM

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

quote: Original post by capn_midnight

back to the practice thing real quick. Bushido Blade used a one-on-one battle just like the regular game, only with wooden weapons. That was the only difference, the weapons looked wooden. Other than that, the players still spurted blood when they got hit. I think a training session shouldn''t exactly be a normal fight, I think it should be a chance to try to work on combos and fight when you want to.

Sounds like Bushido Blade really thought of almost everything

quote:
Okay then, what else were we talking about. Alright, yes, I like the idea of armor and shields. But blocking with a shield is much different than blocking or parrying with your weapon. When you block with a shield, you''re looking to stop the weapon cold. When you block with your sword, you do much the same thing, but you also push it off of you. When you parry you are basically trying to push the attack off to the side instead of stopping it. Blocking with your weapon should take the most strength, blocking with your shield should be slower to execute (to justify the difference in difficulty in use) and parrying should be really easy. Weapon blocking should never knock a ranged weapon out of the air, your only chance would have to be your shield or sidestepping. Also, there is dodging the attack completely, but only real fast characters can do this.

Interesting points. They all make perfect sense to me too thanks for the info.

quote:
Also, what if you have two identical characters, with identical weapons, armor, stats, etc. and they throw the same attack at the same time (happens a lot more than you think, just play Bushido Blade and you''ll see) and they lock swords. In Bushido BLade all you could do was engage in a pushing match. What if instead you could kick and punch and head butt to try and overpower your enemy?

I was thinking of this idea too...I think that the people who made Bushido were reading my mind hehe....

Nazrix, the yet-to-be-determined-cool half-liberitarian half-not-nihilistic-anymore-but-plain-confused messiah
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
You know, it truelly is a great game. There need to be more games like it.
There was also a character in the game that had a gun (he was one of the bosses, you could unlock him for the two player mode). At first, he is nearly impossible to beat, but once you figure out a trick (the fact that he can''t hit a moving target and doesn''t move very well and quits when his legs are taken out) then he is very difficult to win with.
In the game there was a code of honor, called Bushido, that restricted you from fighting unfairly, i.e. attacking when someone was down or when there back was turned or attacking while the person was still talking and not ready to fight. It really made the game that much harder (but not too hard).
I love this game. I play it all the time. It''s 5 yrs old, but who cares. I kick major ass at it. I can beat the game with any of the characters with any of the weapons.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

You know, there is a Bushido Blade 2 (most of you do know that), and another version of Bushido Blade (forget the name of it) coming out for the PS2. Although, they added lifebars to the game .

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
Yeah, I like that lack of life meter thing

Perhaps, at the beginning of battles, your character could be in ''block mode,'' where he simply blocks all of the enemy''s moves. Then, the player could study what the enemy does before attacking. That was just a little thought, and I probably had more to elaborate on it with... But you people can do that yourselves. What a great topic!
later,Ziphrenhttp://ziphren.iuma.comhttp://www.newscientist.com/news/
You might also be able to take advantage of a rythm that they get into. Arutha gets into a fight in ''A darkness at sethanon'' and whoops the guys butt because his enemy got into a comfortable rythm. Could be cool to implement such into a game

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement