🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

the perfect online rpg

Started by
23 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by OoMMMoO

what about a futeristic fallout type online rpg? Where the world was destroyed the precious things are stuff like oil kind of like the old movie mad max!!

You make it, I''ll buy it!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Nazrix
I just hope you guys won't think me a hypocrite if I use the somewhat typical medival setting

I would only BEG of you to put in new stuff or different twists on a familiar setting. Make magic truly mysterious, or if common, more like the Alvin Maker series where *everything* from manufacture to home defense is powered by it. Put in *real* chivalry, so that Paladins don't have to dishonor themselves by killing every weak foe they come across. Look to the Elder Scrolls land of Tamriel, which actually (OHMIGOSH!!!!) had people of different colors rather than the English monoculture you typically get. (Honestly, just as we have discovered that not all our players are of the same gender, and want a matching character model... not all our players are of the same ethnicity... at least Diablo made the mage black... what of other players from other lands!!!! *sorry, MASSIVE pet peeve*)

And that naming convention... if I have to meet another high wizard with the last syllable of his name ending in -ric (Elric, Cedric, Urric) I'm gonna hit somebody over the head with a HALBERD!!!!

--------------------

Edited by - Wavinator on October 17, 2000 7:02:18 PM

Edited by - Wavinator on October 17, 2000 7:03:35 PM
quote: Original post by Wavinator

I would only BEG of you to put in new stuff or different twists on a familiar setting. Make magic truly mysterious, or if common, more like the Alvin Maker series where *everything* from manufacture to home defense is powered by it.

Put in *real* chivalry, so that Paladins don''t have to dishonor themselves by killing every weak foe they come across.

Yeah, I was planning on those kind of twists definietly. I was kind of putting those kind of twists into the design category rather than setting, but I realize that they''re related. I can asure you that I will make twists in these departments.

quote:
Look to the Elder Scrolls land of Tamriel, which actually (OHMIGOSH!!!!) had people of different colors rather than the English monoculture you typically get.

Yes, I was very proud of them for this. And the big major cities actually had somewhat of a different feel. Like Sentinel looked kind of Middle Eastern.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
ahaha, I am not sure if I should laugh, but you''re so right on this one Wav. Though I don''t like the "oh we have got to put some black people in here or we will get sued." Now on the other hand there is something a bit annoying at only seeing white guys all ove the place... but then again, the medieval population of Europe wasn''t really famed for being multicultural and multi ethnic, right ? I mean, ok, we got Arabs in France around 732, but that''s pretty much it ...

Now of course, why for instance, are most people of Darksun only suntanned white people. I mean, it''s a desert WORLD, isn''t it. the black skin would be consistent with the background there, wouldn''t it ? (yeah, I don''t really recall seeing any black people in there).

This is so much easy to turn into a flamewar, but honestly, it''s just a symptom of the greater problem of lack of originality. Yeah, it''s easy to criticise, but hey, someone got to do it

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw

ahaha, I am not sure if I should laugh, but you''re so right on this one Wav. Though I don''t like the "oh we have got to put
some black people in here or we will get sued."

Yeah, I''m no big fan of political correctness. It can be just as tyrannical as bigotry. The answer to bigoted speech is __MORE__ speech.

quote:
Now on the other hand there is something a bit annoying at only seeing white guys all ove the place... but then again, the medieval population of Europe wasn''t really famed for being multicultural and multi ethnic, right ? I mean, ok, we got Arabs in France around 732, but that''s pretty much it ...

Hahaha!!! Yeah, but that''s what __KILLS__ me. Uh, how many friggin'' __DRAGONS__ did you see wandering around the upper Rhine? Or kobolds? Or 50'' giants?

Now why don''t the same rules apply?

quote:
Now of course, why for instance, are most people of Darksun only suntanned white people. I mean, it''s a desert WORLD, isn''t it. the black skin would be consistent with the background there, wouldn''t it ? (yeah, I don''t really recall seeing any black people in there).

LOL!!!! At least they''re consistent, no?

quote:
This is so much easy to turn into a flamewar, but honestly, it''s just a symptom of the greater problem of lack of originality.

You know, I''ve got absolutely __NO__ problem with playing Duke Nukem, or Gabriel Knight, or Gordon Freeman __EXACTLY__ as they are. None whatsoever. Heck, I''ve no problem playing Laura, for God''s sake!

But when it comes to playing a role, it annoys the hell out of me that developers will spend so much energy on providing 50,000 types of shoes with matching leather handbags and apparel but for the same two monoculture mannequins. Whither customization?

--------------------
Good idea, I have been thinking about something like that for a while now. Let write a design document and some psuedocode. Maybe first we should write a small utilty to orginize the design document (I was thinkin about the utility on the way home from school today) I bet you are thinking, "this kid is crazy." But if we do not do it some one else will. Some of you are like it is not possible, but if you think about it, it is.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
I think people need to get together and make a game were the player gets to choose what he wants. Have different worlds that the player can play a character in.

About the whole tired of the way rpg''s are about slaughtering goblins make a world were the character gains exp differently instead of killing helpless goblins (poor things) I know it would take alot of work to make a game this big but if you think about it, it would be one of the greatest online rpg''s ever, Just tell the player pic a world we''ll build it for you.

Brendon
It just hit me kinda like a brick. Exactly how the utility would work. See the design document, divided into many sections, could be housed on a web server. The accual document could be written in html allowing for formatting and images. The program could use ftp to acces and update the docuent. And directPlay could be used to do realtime conferenceing. No two people could edit the same section of the doument at the same time.

What do you all think.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com
I was just thinking how I would have to learn how to do most of this stuff before I colud even start something like this. Even the utility. But if I will get to play that game for free it will be well worth the effort. (not even to mention how it will sell after people play the demo.) Oh and I have a book on directX7 but any body know where I could learn to do the rest of this stuff? Ohhh I just thought of something else, the rpg would have to be not only on the pc but on the dreamcast, Gamecube, x-box, and that peice of garbage I like to call the ps2. These versions would be compatible with the pc version. Also a built in translator so that people who speak different languages could play. All of this is of course aside from voice chat which would not be translated. Come on some one hurry up and reply. and don't say "your crazy" because I am with this idea. This is something that is unpresedented. And we could do it.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

Edited by - TheRealMAN11 on October 17, 2000 9:08:36 PM

Edited by - TheRealMAN11 on October 17, 2000 9:22:23 PM
I think we got away from the topic a bit fellas
The Perfect Online RPG

it is impossible because we all like different things It may be perfect to me but you may hate it. I would like to see a game where you could incorperate learning , and if there''s books int the game reading them would be benificial like telling the location of an ancient (wizard/dragon/robot) that you will find to be benificial to your quest by (talking/fighting/using) your newly found tresure. And you might not want books anywere near your game. thats why it''s impossible.

for a shorter explination...... theres over 100 flavors of Icecream. Nuff said
==--When the time comes you will realize but no sooner.--==

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement