🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A programming game!?

Started by
25 comments, last by Rhaal 19 years, 5 months ago
and then we can give them game to all those people who want to make a MMORPG and then tell them its a source code for a MMORPG and they should find some bugs left in the code, that should keep them busy on making the next big MMORPG!!!!111oneoneone.

btw nice idea.
Advertisement
how about, instead of a game, you make a code-check plug-in for compilers that actually changes the mistyped code instead of just telling you that you have an error. There maybe something like this already, but all i know is MSVC++ 2003 doesn't do it.
Quote: Original post by CodeWeasil
how about, instead of a game, you make a code-check plug-in for compilers that actually changes the mistyped code instead of just telling you that you have an error. There maybe something like this already, but all i know is MSVC++ 2003 doesn't do it.

Thats a better idea. When I hit compile and the compiler says "you missed a ';' here" then it could just add it for me and keep going.
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
And as a final level, you get the code for MS Windows. At this point you give up and contemplate changing careers...
word
How about creating a standard game, deliberately leaving bugs and errors in it, providing the source code, and telling players they need to debug it to play it?

To increase replayability, you could include a separate program that puts random errors back in again when you've finished it. [grin]
Actually, this game may be more meant towards beginner programmers, where you can learn to "think" in debugging mode the start phase of your learning process. Many students at my school keep having these errors and most of them just don't care after they have corrected it. Then, they always got these errors.. those who got many of them when I first met them, 3 years ago, still got them. So, it might be good to build it towards those who have just started programming? So they dont continue to test "=" isnted of "==", and actually learn how and when to use it. If you are going to make it that is.. Its good to debug, if you got a solution to it. In your own projects there isn't any solutions, so its harder to know if you are right or wrong?
Adding random errors to any program is impossible for a program to do. It has been proven that no program can alter another program and be sure it crashes.
mathematically, I can't see how this can be proven. Could you provide some reasources?
Quote: Original post by ToohrVyk
Adding random errors to any program is impossible for a program to do. It has been proven that no program can alter another program and be sure it crashes.

What's to stop me from making an array with 2 elements and then trying to access a nonexistent third element, or dereferencing a null pointer?
Quote: Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote: Original post by ToohrVyk

What's to stop me from making an array with 2 elements and then trying to access a nonexistent third element, or dereferencing a null pointer?

the program can keep in memory the number of memory you allocated for the array (and the value of the pointer).
in a loop, the program can only warn that you have to be careful that the user wouldn't type a nonexistent element to access if you wasnt careful in your code. if () statement can be used to make sure.
pex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement