🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A programming game!?

Started by
25 comments, last by Rhaal 19 years, 5 months ago
Quote: Original post by ToohrVyk
Adding random errors to any program is impossible for a program to do. It has been proven that no program can alter another program and be sure it crashes.

Unless you have very narrow definitions for the words "random" and "error", I fail to see why one program could not add random errors to the source of another.

A program does not have to crash to contain errors. For example, if a program is supposed to print "hello" on the screen 10 times, yet when executed prints "hallo" on the screen 11 times, it has at least 2 errors yet still functions.
Advertisement
If there exists a program A that can add errors to any program, consider program B that applies A to its own source code, compiles, and executes. Then, B performs the same as A(B), which means that A did not add (or change) anything about B.
The point of the original post indicated that the errors include compile errors. Which means that when you use A on a source code B, B may not even compile.

Regarding the original concept it was doable. Among the things I would add to it include graphical representation of the 'code world', action, and various parodies of the different programming languages. The objective is stress relief by associating debugging with action and fantasy.
I have taken the liberty of making a game where you have to find all the bugs in the code, and once you pass that you can play the game. It will take you at least a few years to play through though .

Download 'fix that bug' game

I have seen a site do a similar thing to what you are suggesting but with &#106avascript security, and it is quite popular.
Quote:
If there exists a program A that can add errors to any program, consider program B that applies A to its own source code, compiles, and executes. Then, B performs the same as A(B), which means that A did not add (or change) anything about B.

This assumes that A, makes the same changes to program B, everytime it runs.

Quote:
Daikatana Description
The long awaited demo of Daikatana is here! Each of the three maps can be played in Single-Player, Deathmatch and Cooperative mode. There are two extra Deathmatch maps, one is a new and improved version of the Gibbler on the Roof map from last year's MPlayer Deathmatch Demo. The other map is a Dark Ages castle/arena (it does NOT have the Nharre's Nightmare weapon on the map if you go looking for it).

Ummm.. boolean, is that the right link?
crobots... jrobots... they are the only programming games i've come across thus far I'd consider playing.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote: Download 'fix that bug' game

Quote: Original post by Genjix
Ummm.. boolean, is that the right link?

Oh, it's the right link! [lol] Good one
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement