🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Be honest now...

Started by
9 comments, last by remigius 18 years, 9 months ago
So pretty much everyone has been totally negative about their entries in contrast to other peoples' (apart from nes8bit who isn't entering apparently). But self-deprecation to this level is just dishonest - so I'm asking people to be as truthful as they can in rating their chances in the contest. Personally, my feelings vary wildly. Sometimes I think I'll be in the bottom half, at other times I allow brief fantasies of winning the whole thing. Realistically, I hope to be in the top 'league' of entries - ideally top-ten. If I'd done all the work I've done and also started a month earlier (why did I wait so long to decide?) I honestly think I could have had a good chance at first place. So now I've thrown down the gauntlet... who else will risk the humiliation of having their claims quoted for months when they come in the bottom 5?
Advertisement
Well, I really believe my game blows hard, and everytime I visit the screenshots thread it just confirms it more. I have now stopped working on my game and going to throw everything into an installer. I really dont see any point throwing more time at this (its playable). It was fun joining in though :)
Thats it, I'm all done and my game has been uploaded.
If it's truly playable then it can't be that bad - most demos people put up on GD show promise but are fatally flawed.
If your game is playable and installs/runs smoothly I reckon you shouldn't be discredited by your placing... there's going to be a load of shoddy entries which have the elements welded in and are just a .zip you have to extract from.
Well, we have a pretty good game on our hands actually. It has a lot going for it, but there are some things we need to fix before release.

- more sound + music
- more "screens", credits, options, campaign choice and so on
- able to go to menu screen after you start the game
- finish ninja implementation
- manual
- more/better levels
- survival mode

All that gotta be finished before tuesday. Or we'll have a good game, but a good game that won't feel very professional.

But if we DO finish all of those things, we might actually have a winner on our hands. :D (only quote me if we end up in top-ten ;)).

I think we'll be able to fix most of those stuff... but the thing I'm really worried about is the 50+ games that hasn't been posted on these forums. Oh and some of the ones that has been. It's not gonna be easy, that's for sure.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
My game has a chance of being 1-10 because of all the things you can do in it.
(Construct buildings,make robots, go on quests,go shopping,design your ship,get awards,choose skills,collect wealth)

On the other hand it is not very pretty so I might be in the bottom half.
Honestly I have no idea where ours will place. If I can fix 2 big issues, or at least one of the 2 that remain I think we will do really well. On the other hand if I can't figure out at least the one of the remaining issues we will do very badly. Ah well, either way its almost over!
I'm curious to see how many games incorporate the elements well, and didn't just replace the graphics of already-created games...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Every other post on this site complains about the industry being obsessed with graphics, and not on innivations...

Then you have a chance to do something cool, and people bail because other peoples games look good!

Ignore the screen shots, its game-play that counts here... Judge your game on that, not how many pre/post/ pixel/vertex shader/effects/polys your throwing around!
Quote: Original post by Srekel
Well, we have a pretty good game on our hands actually. It has a lot going for it, but there are some things we need to fix before release.

- more sound + music
- more "screens", credits, options, campaign choice and so on
- able to go to menu screen after you start the game
- finish ninja implementation
- manual
- more/better levels
- survival mode

All that gotta be finished before tuesday. Or we'll have a good game, but a good game that won't feel very professional.

But if we DO finish all of those things, we might actually have a winner on our hands. :D (only quote me if we end up in top-ten ;)).

I think we'll be able to fix most of those stuff... but the thing I'm really worried about is the 50+ games that hasn't been posted on these forums. Oh and some of the ones that has been. It's not gonna be easy, that's for sure.

If we win Srekel, I promise to register here on gamedev, even tho I don't think we will win! I think we end up somewhere in the top 30 or so, good menues and the other stuff listed are a lot harder to fix that one thinks at first.. :)

/vb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement