Advertisement

when is the winner announced?

Started by November 07, 2005 12:34 PM
40 comments, last by khawk 18 years, 10 months ago
It would be very nice is gamedev send a mail to all contestants about that delay along with some estimate...
Quote: Original post by GiantPaul
Nobody had time to update the website which probably means that they will take at least another week ;)
It took months to update the rules to officially tell us that shaders would be supported. The website updating just is not a priority.
Quote: Original post by hvor3
It would be very nice is gamedev send a mail to all contestants about that delay along with some estimate...

A mail would be a bit of work, but a post in this forum would be appreciated - personally I don't care if it's in an hour or a week but I would like to know when it'll be.

Advertisement
At this moment I'm waiting on two of the judges' scores to come in. Once they are in I will tally the scores and we will have the final winners, at which point I will update the page with the contest winners.

We will only be showing the winners who placed. We will not be showing an extensive list of every entry's placement in the contest. It would be impossible to do anyway due to the multiple rounds of judging we went through.

So, if the judge's get their stuff done (I asked for it by last night), then it will be within the next day or so.

Admin for GameDev.net.

That sucks, frankly. If we have no idea of where we come - which it sounds like the majority of us won't, then will the judging process be explained?
And if it worked in rounds can we not get access to any results - ie from each round so we can see when we were knocked out or whatever? It certainly seems that in a contest with valuable prizes we are entitled to see every step of the judging process (not that I'm implying funny business, it's just sensible).
And does this 'rounds' system mean that the judging criteria in the rules are not how it was done:
Quote: Overall score is calculated as follows:
Technical average + Creativity average + Fun average + Polish average
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 + Kudos Points
I don't see how this scheme is tailored to rounds, unless you essentially judged everyone, then got scores and dropped the last 10 and repeated the whole process...

Even if it's not given out with the winners, it would be nice for everyone to get at least some indication of scores from the judges.

I can't be alone thinking this, right?
Nope, I wouid like to see the scores for everyone as well, and viblo from my team thinks the same thing (we discussed it on IRC an hour ago or so). It doesn't sound that hard to calculate the average score for a bunch of games. I guess a bit of work, maybe, but the process should be pretty easy to automate.

I'm also sad that we won't get to see the results today, but I guess its gotta take the time its gonna take...
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Quote: Original post by d000hg

I think we'd all agree that more feedback is better. I'd feel terrible asking the judges to do more work than they were already planning, but I'm crossig my fingers that I'll get to see everything that went into my score.

Comments (likes/dislikes) from the judges would be awesome, but with a contest this size, I don't think we can expect that.
Advertisement
Maybe the first round was just looking at contest requirements for disqualification? With 40+ games they probably had to cut down rather quickly. Maybe other rounds looked at the catagories: tech, fun, polish and creativity. And sadly we aren't entitled to see how the judging process went. Or the breakdown of scores and comments.
Although, I hope if we are all really nice to the judges, staff and moderators they will at least give us some score info and comments/suggestions for each of the games even if it's only emailed to the contestant.
So everyone stop bothering the poor people. They got a lot more entries than they expected a few months ago and I'm sure everyone wants to give them enough time to judge fairly. Right? Besides all the complaining in the world isn't going to get results any faster.
-Lost Little Girl in Gamedev (LLGG)---------------------------------------------Insert Soulless Corporate Logo HERE. I am Dread Pirate Roberts(TM) #17603. Please ask about franchise opportunities in your area!
Sure they must have eliminated a few as disqualified.
But the number of entries is immaterial. The rules announced the scoring system right at the start so unless they went through the first couple of rounds doing "this is clearly not making top-five, don't bother scoring it" then some scores for every qualifying entry must exist.

I'll repeat that I'm happy to see breakdowns later than the winners' list, but for 5 months work it would be a huge disappointment not to even get acknowledged as an entrant!
That sucks, frankly. If we have no idea of where we come - which it sounds like the majority of us won't, then will the judging process be explained?
Even if it's not given out with the winners, it would be nice for everyone to get at least some indication of scores from the judges.

I simply can't agree more.

Quote: Original post by hvor3

I simply can't agree more.

I agree too that I would really hope for score breakdowns and comments on why each entry received the score it did, but that would be very time consuming. Mostly this would a good way for us to improve our games by seeing what was good/bad/missing, etc. A number and rank is all well and good, but not all that helpful in the long run.

Anyway, while all that would be nice, whatever method they choose to use is up to them. Don't forget the last rule in the contest -

"16. GameDev.net reserves the right to modify contest rules or cancel the contest at any time without prior notification."

Hehe, I guess I'm not the only one around here feeling the anticipation of the final outcome and both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement