Advertisement

when is the winner announced?

Started by November 07, 2005 12:34 PM
40 comments, last by khawk 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Sure they must have eliminated a few as disqualified.
But the number of entries is immaterial. The rules announced the scoring system right at the start so unless they went through the first couple of rounds doing "this is clearly not making top-five, don't bother scoring it" then some scores for every qualifying entry must exist.

I'll repeat that I'm happy to see breakdowns later than the winners' list, but for 5 months work it would be a huge disappointment not to even get acknowledged as an entrant!

Agreed.

If my entry (Kasei) was thrown out in the first pass because it ran horribly on someone's machine? Or if it actually got to the last tier, and everyone liked it, but it just got beat out by the more polished entries? I'd REALLY like to know... as would the artist, and the really nice guy who did music work for us.

If a score didn't exist at the time, who cares - just tell us "entry was tossed out because it just didn't compare."

We never cared about the prizes (and still don't - it was just a fun compo), we were just curious how we'd do.
Once the results are posted, I'm leaving it up to the judges if they want to discuss their personal views of the contest entries with the general public. So, yes, I'd say most of you will get some sort of feedback, although I know there has been a lot of feedback from the general public already on some of the entries (comments that should not be taken lightly).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Well, that's better, at least. I really would like to hear what the judges thought about what we can improve (especially as our game didn't really get any feedback, except from the wonderful Boder!).

Anyways, I'll be waiting... right here... still here...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Aye, I've got some comments about the games I've played that I'm not making until the results are out; releasing the scores probably wouldn't be as helpful as actual comments, because many of the things I'd want to say would be along the lines of areas for future development (e.g. one of the games I played/judged is crying out for gamepad support).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hmm, I hope the 'round thing' won't hurt the entries to much. Of course I'm worried about my own entry, since the gameplay was limited. But other games, like warscale may have suffered from this too. As I saw the points would be distributed by...

Quote: Technical average + Creativity average + Fun average + Polish average + Kudos

...I focussed maily on getting in some nice technical features and spent some time on the kudos points, like a website, an installer & stuff. On the Polish side I've been working on the menu system etc. etc.

To cut a long story very short, my game obviously wasn't quite finished, since it mostly lacked elaborate gameplay. When I combine this with the Managed DirectX deployment issues I had, I'm getting the feeling I didn't really pass the first round, regardless of my other efforts...

Ah well, time will tell I guess.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
are the results in yet ? ;) hehe
Advertisement
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

i want my cheesy poofs :)

hey what ever happened to announcing prize distribution?
-Chris
Wouldn't it be a good idea to give the prices to places 11+ since the 1-10 will get the prestige for being in the top 10 while the other places would get the prices :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement