Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by Jabus10
If say i decided to do a text based game once i have finished that could i work on a version with graphics and submit that with my text based game even if the graphics version was only half complete? They wouldn't be too sorts of games they would be different versions of the same one. Is that o.k.

They'll be judged as a single entry. If the graphics version is only half complete, then the pair as a whole will be considered half complete, and will lose marks accordingly. You're probably better off spending the time making a damn fine text-based game instead of splitting it over two versions; you can always make the graphics version outside of the contest.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Two questions:

#1: Will making a fun educational kids game be rated differently then other entries? In my view the quality of a kids game is all based on perspective, how will something out of genre norm be rated?

#2: Can we use classical music? I want to be able to use symphonies, does this give me any legality issues? (I don't assume so since I will be using those from the Baroque\Classical era)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by PumpkinPieman
#1: Will making a fun educational kids game be rated differently then other entries? In my view the quality of a kids game is all based on perspective, how will something out of genre norm be rated?
The target audience will be taken into consideration when judging.

Quote: #2: Can we use classical music? I want to be able to use symphonies, does this give me any legality issues? (I don't assume so since I will be using those from the Baroque\Classical era)
The pieces themselves should be fine because they're old enough, but be aware that many specific recordings of those pieces are subject to copyright. If you want to record yourself playing some pieces, that's fine; but if you want to use someone else's recording (and that includes MIDI arrangements, AFAIK) then you need to get their permission.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: #2: Can we use classical music? I want to be able to use symphonies, does this give me any legality issues? (I don't assume so since I will be using those from the Baroque\Classical era)
The pieces themselves should be fine because they're old enough, but be aware that many specific recordings of those pieces are subject to copyright. If you want to record yourself playing some pieces, that's fine; but if you want to use someone else's recording (and that includes MIDI arrangements, AFAIK) then you need to get their permission.

What about MIDI that has no identified source?

Edit: I sent you a follow up message, check your PM box.

[Edited by - PumpkinPieman on July 21, 2006 11:52:46 AM]
Well it must have come from somewhere, surely?

So does that mean as long as they stay the stuff posted on their site is "free for use" then it's valid in this contest? (Given that we provide proper references)
Advertisement

So does that mean as long as they stay the stuff posted on their site is "free for use" then it's valid in this contest? (Given that we provide proper references)
If it's "free for use," then yes. If it's "free for distribution" then you should check with the copyright holder - using music as part of a game might not be considered the same as distributing it in its original form.

I hanvn't read this whole specific thread so forgivce me if this has been asked. Can we show you our game maybe 1-2 weeks before the dealline (or earlyer) so you can evaluate it? Then if one of our elements isn't quite up to par you can tell us. Would that be possible.
Dev Journal - Ride the Spiralhttp://spiralride.blogspot.com/
Quote: Original post by Taymo
I hanvn't read this whole specific thread so forgivce me if this has been asked. Can we show you our game maybe 1-2 weeks before the dealline (or earlyer) so you can evaluate it? Then if one of our elements isn't quite up to par you can tell us. Would that be possible.

I'll have to think about that one. If you only get that kind of feedback a couple of weeks before the deadline, would it really be enough time to properly fix things up?

I'm not sure I'm going to actually start making the game, but just to be sure I've got the elements right:

The game will probably be named "Rome: 3000". It's set in the suburbs of futuristic Rome(-Europe-), now again an Empire, where the gladiator fights have been ressurected. You are a manager of a team of slave clone gladiators. For every match you play, you choose the clone you desire to participate, and you get to control him. You start with just one clone. The fights are being held in arenas, and the winner is that who captures a "flag" with the emblem of the Empire(-Emblem-). Also, smaller powerups have the emblem carved on them too. Winning the matches "legally" though isn't enough, based on how stylish or violent you play, you gain sympathy(-Emotion-) from the crowd which translates to publicity,commercials,more income and chances to participate in the biggest arenas.

Each clone fighter has its own level of "sympathy" and popularity from the crowd, so big diversions amongst the members of the team will create jealousy and strife, and bring the overall psychology factor of the members down(more emotion;of course, all of the above emotion factors will be explicitly displayed in-game via statistics). All those money(both from winning the matches and publicity) can be used to buy armory,weapons,train,or even "order" new enhanced clones to add to the team(-Economics-). The final goal is to gain enough sympathy so you're invited to a match inside Rome, watched by the Emperor himself. If you manage to gain his sympathy(even more emotion), all your team members will be freed, and you will be given a huge amount of money, enough to retire forever:)

Now, the element I'm really worrying about is Europe: The game does take place in Italy of year 3000, and I am going to show a map of Italy with the names of the cities that the arenas are, but I'm not going to actually show any landmarks of Rome (and it's a futuristic Rome,anyway), so one could say that the game could take place in any other part of the world and the maps could be just replaced with the respected maps of any country. Are the strong parallels I draw between the game and the ancient gladiator fights in Rome enough to consider that the game fulfills the "Europe" element?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement