Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by MichaelNolan
I'm curious - although i doubt this'll consern me - but does a mad man stealing European monuments and landmarks count?

Not in and of itself. If the game involved visiting the scenes of the crimes and searching for clues, and then eventually reaching his hideout in the depths of darkest Belgium or something, then it would.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

It mentions briefly in the rules about browser based games, but I was wondering what the actual ruling for them was. Are you allowed to do a, say, PHP browser based game? Would it then have to have 'closure'?
Also I saw about submitting the server code, so if this type of game is allowed, what code would need to be submitted? The link to the game + ?

Sorry for the questions, I just thought it sounded interesting to take part, I know that a browser based game isn't likely to win in any cases :P

Thanks for your time,
Alan
Advertisement
SuperPig - perhaps a specific announcement about XNA - yay or nay.

I know it's not even out yet, and very beta sounding - so I'm expecting a "nay", as with MDX 2.

As the Visual Studio Express XNA beta is coming out very soon I expect there's going to be a few people whom haven't started coding yet (or may even be starting out developing altogether) that might think of using it otherwise.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote: Original post by Silent Dragon
It mentions briefly in the rules about browser based games, but I was wondering what the actual ruling for them was. Are you allowed to do a, say, PHP browser based game? Would it then have to have 'closure'?
Also I saw about submitting the server code, so if this type of game is allowed, what code would need to be submitted? The link to the game + ?

You need to submit everything that we'd need to run the game on a closed network, i.e. without any access to your server. We're willing to install server pieces, and to treat those pieces as separate from the rest of the entry - if you don't want it releasing to the public, we can work something out - but you should assume that we will be testing on a network that does not have a connection to the general internet.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by paulecoyote
SuperPig - perhaps a specific announcement about XNA - yay or nay.

I know it's not even out yet, and very beta sounding - so I'm expecting a "nay", as with MDX 2.

As the Visual Studio Express XNA beta is coming out very soon I expect there's going to be a few people whom haven't started coding yet (or may even be starting out developing altogether) that might think of using it otherwise.

Edit: Hmm, I don't know my own rules well enough [grin] The thing that matters is rule #17:

Quote:
Any entry that uses third party technology without a valid license to do so will be immediately disqualified. If in any doubt as to whether your license permits distribution of your entry as per our terms and conditions, check with your licensor.

If they release an XNA redist under a compatible license, then you can use it even if it's still beta. That said, I'm advised that MDX 2.0 has now been granted a proper redist in the August SDK, so if the license for that checks out you should be able to submit an entry developed on it - and switching from XNA to MDX 2.0 mid-November might be plausible if you design your tech accordingly.

I should probably try and get more info on schedules for this [smile]

Quote: Original post by superpig

You need to submit everything that we'd need to run the game on a closed network, i.e. without any access to your server. We're willing to install server pieces, and to treat those pieces as separate from the rest of the entry - if you don't want it releasing to the public, we can work something out - but you should assume that we will be testing on a network that does not have a connection to the general internet.

Then a web-based game isn't really applicable? It would require MySQL and PHP to be installed on the testing machine and then the PHP connect script would have to be set up with user/pass from the MySQL install.
It would also need Apache to run. WAMP could be installed, but that still doesnt solve the MySQL user/pass problem, and also the fact that it requires the installation of something else.
Playing it on your own server kinda defeats the point of the game, but I can see why you would want to ensure that the code isn't changed after the deadline. Is there any other way to do this? Or does it have to be all run on the judges computer? (I have no problems with submitting the code, I just worry that installing everything might be a problem).

I assume that this wouldn't be possible then?
Advertisement
It would require MySQL and PHP to be installed on the testing machine
Yep.

Quote: and then the PHP connect script would have to be set up with user/pass from the MySQL install.
Yep. That's not exactly difficult to do - just include "edit server_config.php to specify the MySQL username/password."

Quote: It would also need Apache to run.
Yep.

Provided the server package you submit contains the relevant versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP and reasonable instructions for configuring it all, it'll be fine.

It would require MySQL and PHP to be installed on the testing machine
Yep.

Quote: and then the PHP connect script would have to be set up with user/pass from the MySQL install.
Yep. That's not exactly difficult to do - just include "edit server_config.php to specify the MySQL username/password."

Quote: It would also need Apache to run.
Yep.

Provided the server package you submit contains the relevant versions of Apache/MySQL/PHP and reasonable instructions for configuring it all, it'll be fine.

Ooh, so you're willing to do all that? That gives me a little more hope =] I'll have to get hold of WAMP again and get some kind of install instructions set up before I continue.

Last question...I hope. If the trade is based on player -> player transacitons, then how will that be judged on the 'economics' side? Or should I just add NPC trading to make sure the trading is obvious and can be done with 1 player?

Thanks again superpig!~
If they release an XNA redist under a compatible license, then you can use it even if it's still beta. That said, I'm advised that MDX 2.0 has now been granted a proper redist in the August SDK, so if the license for that checks out you should be able to submit an entry developed on it

Sorry to be a pain but do you (or anyone?) have a link or can tell me what to look for in the sdk download that confirms this?

I guess it's if the End User Redistributable package for the August SDK that Microsoft produces itself actually installs MDX 1.1 and 2.0 then I guess it's okay, right?
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Ooh, so you're willing to do all that?
Yes. Please, don't take the piss; while we won't judge the quality of the server-side install process as end users won't be doing it, we will still disqualify your entry if it takes weeks to get the server running.

Quote: If the trade is based on player -> player transacitons, then how will that be judged on the 'economics' side? Or should I just add NPC trading to make sure the trading is obvious and can be done with 1 player?

If it's a multiplayer game, then we accept multiplayer trading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement