🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emblem

Started by
84 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Just out of interest: how many people are actually planning on doing a WWII based game?

I am, for one.

I'm happy someone cleared up the Swastika question (I was meaning to ask), because in my game, err, you'll be playing as the Nazis on the Eastern Front of the war. Granted, I wasn't sure about making the Swastika an emblem (or even putting it into the game), but its good to know that the option is there.

Hooray!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Dan Lingman
Well, despite my title - "The Smiley Wars", my game is not set in world war anything.

Sounds to me like WW:-) [smile]

One of the ideas I'm also strongly considering is a vaguely Risk-like game, also for a united happy Europe (although it's probably a lot different in actualisation to what you are planning on doing!). I like your idea; very cute and achievable in the contest time frame.
Does this sound like it's going to meet the 4E's? It's placed in Europe, it's got a definate emblem that everyone knows, and that is critical to winning the game, The emotional factor is there, and the bidding/production phase covers the economic area.

I'm not sure. Something I've tried to stress throughout this thread is that while you can use multiple emblems if you want, there needs to be one in particular that you hold above the rest. If that's your ":-)", then OK - just make sure that it /is/ emphasized over the others. Other than that, it sounds like a great idea [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Does this sound like it's going to meet the 4E's? It's placed in Europe, it's got a definate emblem that everyone knows, and that is critical to winning the game, The emotional factor is there, and the bidding/production phase covers the economic area.

I'm not sure. Something I've tried to stress throughout this thread is that while you can use multiple emblems if you want, there needs to be one in particular that you hold above the rest. If that's your ":-)", then OK - just make sure that it /is/ emphasized over the others. Other than that, it sounds like a great idea [smile]

Definately is the case that a single emblem ":-)" is critical.

While each of the three main emoticons has different properties, the goal of the game is to have a wave of your color of smiley - specifically :-) dominating the entire europe map.

You'll need to use the other ones to reach your goal, but you must have :-) everywhere to win.

Dan.
You'll probably be fine then.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by CTar
Does the emblem have to be a fixed one? Would it be ok to allow the user to design it himself (at the start of the game) and then use that emblem in the game?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too, as some of the ideas I've deciding between involve a choice of flags or coat-of-arms, and it would be nice to allow the player to choose between them (or make their own).

I wonder this too, since I was planning to let the player pick/create a symbol for his team, and that would be used as the emblem.
Quote: Original post by Cerasti
Quote: Original post by CTar
Does the emblem have to be a fixed one? Would it be ok to allow the user to design it himself (at the start of the game) and then use that emblem in the game?

I'd like to know the answer to this question too, as some of the ideas I've deciding between involve a choice of flags or coat-of-arms, and it would be nice to allow the player to choose between them (or make their own).

I wonder this too, since I was planning to let the player pick/create a symbol for his team, and that would be used as the emblem.

It's tough, because letting the player pick one from a set of emblems gives all those emblems equal significance, and you need to emphasise one above the others. I'd recommend that you pick one as the default and emphasise it where possible elsewhere; that way, playing through on defaults works OK. Again, I'd cite the example of the Half-Life series, where you're allowed any graphic you want as your multiplayer spray, but the default is the lambda symbol (which is given major significance elsewhere).

Gotcha. Guess just letting the player choose a side or a nation isn't enough.

One think I'm also unclear on is whether an "emblem" has to be 2D symbol. Can an emblem be something like a sceptre or a crown?
One think I'm also unclear on is whether an "emblem" has to be 2D symbol. Can an emblem be something like a sceptre or a crown?

It can be a 3D object if you want, sure. I'd even allow it to be a particular sound or melody.

The unifying force here seems to be: a single symbol needs to be prevalent. A symbol is not necessarily graphical (sounds/melodies) - which sounds to me like the Mario or Zelda theme, where no matter where you hear it, even if it's redone, there's no way you can escape knowing what it is.

Technically, the emblem reminds me entirely of branding (wikipedia's definition): In marketing, a brand is the symbolic embodiment of all the information connected with a product or service. A brand typically includes a name, logo, and other visual elements such as images or symbols. It also encompasses the set of expectations associated with a product or service which typicaly arise in the minds of people. Such people include employees of the brand owner, people involved with distribution, sale or supply of the product or service, and ultimate consumers.

When you play Half-Life as used for an example, seeing that symbol just made you know what was going on (okay, safe place here), and if you see a mushroom with a smiley face on it, you know it's Mario's, regardless of if the name is there. So if a symbol becomes strong enough that after playing, one sees a symbol and goes "Oh yeah, that's what Super Happy Awesome Game Time was about", sounds like the nail is, well, nailed.
- Charles Jackson, Hedonism Games, developer of Crush the Critters (Alpha Jan '08!)- http://www.hedonismgames.com- Email: CataclysmicKnight@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement