🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Emblem

Started by
84 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
They even use the word symbol to describe ther emblem in the definition. I wish fancy words were avoided for clarity. Maybe its just me, but emblem (as opposed to just saying symbol - because that is what is really meant) seems to consfuse matters.

I think the main reason is that symbol doesn't start with an "E".

Advertisement
Well, the first AP there is an idiot, but ignoring that. Just think about your choice first, and decide whether or not it's a significant enough part of your game to count. If you only stick it on your powerups, it's not good enough. If it's on your powerups, your characters, your bases, and it's a symbol/emblem of your army and cause, then you're set. It could be a blue square, or it could be a crazy fractal pattern; the design of the emblem isn't much of an issue.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Before I get started properly on my design, I want to be sure that I can fit the 4 elements into it nicely. So, say if I'm making a war game of sorts, would the emblem criteria be satisfied if I were to have an emblem to represent the player's army/leader? So for example it could be used on shields and flags etc, and used to indicate control of locations. And then if I leave other armies/leaders without an emblem in order to emphasize the player's leader having an emblem? Is this enough to satisfy the criteria?
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
Quote: Original post by InsaneBoarder234
Before I get started properly on my design, I want to be sure that I can fit the 4 elements into it nicely. So, say if I'm making a war game of sorts, would the emblem criteria be satisfied if I were to have an emblem to represent the player's army/leader? So for example it could be used on shields and flags etc, and used to indicate control of locations. And then if I leave other armies/leaders without an emblem in order to emphasize the player's leader having an emblem? Is this enough to satisfy the criteria?
IANAJ, but yes. From what superpig has said, that should be plenty to satisfy the emblem criteria!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
This is kind of a stupid question, but must the game only have one unifying emblem or could there be multiple emblems (to symbolise different things)?
Quote: This is kind of a stupid question, but must the game only have one unifying emblem or could there be multiple emblems (to symbolise different things)?

I think the idea is you need some single recognisable emblem though that doesn't mean you can't have several of them. For example you could have multiple ones that combine to form one (which could represent a load of items you need to collect in the course of the game), or maybe one of the emblems is the 'main' one and the others are subsidiary.
What if part of the game play consists of getting different emblems? Say if each npc has a set of emblems and the goal was collect as many as you can in 7 days? Is that considered as covering the emblem criteria? Or does it have to be one emblem, that is a signficant part of the game?
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
What if part of the game play consists of getting different emblems? Say if each npc has a set of emblems and the goal was collect as many as you can in 7 days? Is that considered as covering the emblem criteria? Or does it have to be one emblem, that is a signficant part of the game?

There needs to be one particular emblem that is significantly emphasised. You could do your collecting idea as well, but it won't be sufficient on its own to qualify.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Does the emblem have to be a fixed one? Would it be ok to allow the user to design it himself (at the start of the game) and then use that emblem in the game?
When brainstorming for ideas, I'm finding it hard to think of good ways to incorporate an Emblem, mostly because I'm considering story-less or story-lite game ideas at the moment.

Is it acceptable to use a logo as the Emblem, if it is integrated heavily into the graphical layout? For example, if the game was a competition, or the player was part of some organisation, the logo would be plastered on every available surface, but the gameplay doesn't revolve around the Emblem itself, more about what the Emblem stands for (i.e. the competition or organisation).

Sorry that I can't give a more concrete example, as I haven't got a clue what sort of game I'm aiming for right now, other than something simple (so I can complete it). I'm finding it hard to think of an idea that revolves around all four elements to a significant extent!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement