🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E5] Screenshots and Art

Started by
351 comments, last by XDigital 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by medevilenemy
Perhaps my game fulfills the europe element simply because it is in space and space can be considered to be "above" europe. Anyone know if that reasoning will work?

No, it won't.

(Part of the reason we have the elements at all is to stop people just making minor modifications to their existing projects.)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
1) dont have enough free time to write something new

2) Revising it is possible, but I have no idea how. How in the world can a space shooter be modified to include, of all things, Europe?

3) I do think having Europe as an element is stupid, but it is not because my game doesnt fit, but rather because it is rather restricting. secondly, it is europe! couldn't they think of anything more interesting like the things they used for 4E4 (like ninjas and pirates?)?
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
3) Interesting is subjective, and it's suppose to be restricting.
3) I do think having Europe as an element is stupid, but it is not because my game doesnt fit, but rather because it is rather restricting. secondly, it is europe! couldn't they think of anything more interesting like the things they used for 4E4 (like ninjas and pirates?)?

I think the whole point is that it is a restriction, and something that will require creativity to work through (or around). It's not something you can just slap into the game like 'pirates' - give your main character a hook for a hand and presto, you're in.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
1) dont have enough free time to write something new

2) Revising it is possible, but I have no idea how. How in the world can a space shooter be modified to include, of all things, Europe?

Well then, maybe you should to be more creative. Its SUPPOSED to be restricting. Whats the point in a contest where anyone can just halfass the implementation of the rules?
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: Original post by AdamskiAirsoft

I dont understand the first part of that sentence, and while I accept that it is supposed to be restricting (i knew someone would reply with this) it restricts too much IE: it cuts out entire genres including mostly anything space-based.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

I dont understand the first part of that sentence, and while I accept that it is supposed to be restricting (i knew someone would reply with this) it restricts too much IE: it cuts out entire genres including mostly anything space-based.

So? This isnt a "Make a space based game" competition. Its a "make a game that includes these four elements" competition.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Err, this is the Screenshots and Art thread, guys. Take it over to the Discuss: Europe thread or something...

As a side note, whee - TreeView control :D

If you were creative, not saying your not, and put effort into it, you could think of ways of using Europe in your space game.

BTW: Interesting is subjective... thats pretty much saying that interesting is an opinion. While Europe might not be interesting to you, it might be interesting to alot others.
This is a dumb argument, and so i will not keep it going any longer.

Mushu, nice editor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement