🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Individual or Team?

Started by
22 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 1 month ago
Working as part of a team you do stand to get more done. But doing it on your own you can get a better feel for all the areas that need to be worked on so later on you can confidently lead a team of specialized developers to complete a larger project that you couldn’t do on your own.

Team management is different than programming, you need to plan out the product and divide up the workload let people contribute their input and creativity to the project. If you take too much control away from the developers then odds are your going to slow down the project and you might as well do the work your self.
Advertisement
A bit of both here. Currently working alone on all the programming except AI. Will continue to go at it alone, until three or two months before the deadline. At that point, I should know if I'll be able to make the deadline, and I'll get some help. On the art side I'll be in search of 1 artist, but I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to find one, since my planning should put me with an almost complete game at that point. I've already contacted another programmer about AI, and he's willing to help out. He'll be joining around Oktober probably.
Team
Best regards, Omid
All on my lonesome. And I'm only 17. Don't write me off though, I've been doing this stuff for about 5 years now. And actually, I've found one of my older brothers can be very useful when things start coming together.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Team of at least two, most likely three or four people (all programmers). Hopefully we can find an artist during the course of the project. :)
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Individual... Im still a 16 year... lol ooops, 17 years old noob programmer(1 game finished until now), but I think i can make a nice game until the deadline.

good luck all & have fun
Depends. I'm expecting to do it all on my own, but if my friend doesn't get swamped at his new job, it's possible we'll team up with me doing doing the coding and music/sound and him doing the art.
i'll fly solo on the coding but i mite call in a mate or two for voices and dialog if i add some.
Individual.

The main problem with a team is the fact that unless you're paying it well, you'll have to find a team of people who really belive in the project, and are as willing to do their best as you are.
People don't usually do their best on other people's projects, so you'll have to make your team members feel that it's their project as well.
They would like their ideas in it, something you may not always like.
And there's no guarantee that your team members will like each other's ideas, too.
Sometimes you'll end up not satisfied with the final results of your and your team's work because that's not what you wanted at all, that's not how you imagined it.
So unless you're just paying your team to get the job done, you will either have to find very like-minded people or suffer from that huge headache of trying to work with a bunch of 10 people, all with their own ideas.

Personally, I would like to find myself a team.
I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of none.
I can't finish a whole game by myself.
For example, I'm good at graphics, physics and AI programming, but when it gets to GUI programming, I'm totally useless... And a game needs a GUI, doesn't it?
I'm good at drawing sketches and outlines, but when it gets to coloring, again, I'm useless.
I know what kind of music would be best for every scene, but can't compose it myself, 'cause the only instrument I can play is a piano.
OH MY GOD! I NEED A TEAM!
individual... and ive had only 1 year of programming experience... and im only 15

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement