🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Announcement: Site Status

Started by
55 comments, last by DrakeThe 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote: Original post by lc_overlord
um... hang in there.

But at the mean time i like to hear your ideas and suggestions for new lessons.
And please note that we have close to 80 different lessons in the planning stage ranging from super easy to ZOMGWTFPONIES hard (far from all definitely decided on), so don't expect your ideas to become a lesson, because they might all ready be (not that i will tell you right now).

New lessons? A Rag Dolls tutorial would be nice.
A tutorial dealing with multi-cores programming with openGL would be interesting.

Advertisement
Yeah. . i see you guys have chosen to rewrite the new basecode for the initial lessons. I'd consider this a complete overhaul of Nehe's legacy,

and I like it.
Yea, we figured that since so long time has passed since the original ones where made and some of the lessons where sort of not the way you would normally do things today, the best thing to do is to just rewrite it all.
Though in the beginning you will definitely recognize some items from the original lessons, like the cube rendering code from lesson 6, it's pretty much just copypasted into a few of the first lessons. :)
Hows things progressing? Any word on some release date?
hello wanted to congratulate you and former admin(jeff) for this awesome resource of information you are sharing ,,,anyways i have a question for you ...recently i downloaded the old tutorials(the pdf book) and begin to print it ...wanted to know if you could make available the devc++ source codes in one pack i mean a zip file or similar ..otherwise you could email it to me pls you could do me a favor : here is my mail cor_sibu@yahoo.it thanks and keep up the good work :)
No not now, I (or anyone on the dev team, besides the GD.net staff) don't have any direct special access to the old content, only the new stuff.
So it would be faster if you downloaded it directly yourself.

Later on when we have the new site(and some content) could perhaps see if we can provide separate code packs and new pdf books of most things on the site (old and new).
ekhm.. i don't know do you realize this but 5 months has passed since the announcement.. one more month and it will be half a year, areyou still working on it? if yes can you from time to time post, what progress are you making? Even something like "we have 4 tutorials made we will release them soon"? It's just sad that i check NeHe twice a week and i don't see anything happening for such a long time. You don't have to publish everything at once, you can even show us 1st tutorial and everyone will be glad that something is going on...

edit:
not everyone are searching for whole set of tutorials, they might be looking just for one specific topic so tutorials are realy usefull even if not in bulk
Quote: Original post by lc_overlord
um... hang in there.

But at the mean time i like to hear your ideas and suggestions for new lessons.

Hi there!

Just registered this cool site full with info that I needed :)
This week I did some tryouts from the (old ?) lessons but I had to look elsewhere for info that I could not find there.
Maybe a tip for the new lessons ?

It is about loading and using a png file in stead of a bmp to use transparancy.
The other thing was simple clipping with clipping planes, also not found in the lessons.
But now I know :) but as I said, maybe a tip to show to other beginners.

Cheers.
Quote: Original post by Catweazle_1
It is about loading and using a png file in stead of a bmp to use transparancy.
The other thing was simple clipping with clipping planes, also not found in the lessons.
But now I know :) but as I said, maybe a tip to show to other beginners.

Cheers.

We use TGA files instead of BMP so we can use transparancy right from the beginning, in theory we could use libpng, but TGA files are simple to load and gives some hints on how to write file loaders.

simple clipping is actually taught in the original lessons, just take a closer look at lesson 26.
I shall come out of my long time NeHe lurking to say something. I've been visiting here for quite some time. It's changed to be certain, For good? I have my doubts but I have faith in the staff as they seem to be skilled and suited for the task.

For the love of all things merciful and OGL-ful. Post an announcement :) .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement