Advertisement

Contest (STARTING NOW!)

Started by July 11, 2006 03:05 AM
36 comments, last by mando 18 years, 1 month ago
Well according to the test I'm ENFP - the Champion,

I've never been to sure how useful these personality type are in day to day life. But they could be useful in writing when it comes to using defined personality archetypes. I personally feel that every one has a combination personality type that changes over time rather then being constant as some people believe. I for one have changed from INFJ to ENFP since university.

As for which to archetypes I’m using I will be having a banter scene between an Architect (iNTp) and a Composer (iSfP).
I'm an INTJ.

Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
I for one have changed from INFJ to ENFP since university.

You're probably an 'I'. Introverts tend to take on Extroverted characteristics when they become familiarized with their surroundings, however, they still remain introverts.

If you were thrown into a room of unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar place, would you be the one asking the other's names?
Advertisement
I'm not participating in this contest (although it seems that I have writing talent, hehe), but I'm very amazed by that test. It turns out that I'm an iNFj. A regrettable rare type (2%) with lots and lots of talents, put to waste because I'm a dreaming idealist.
Pfff.. No wonder that "we" are with few, I'm ready to suicide!
I got INFP - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving. Whatever that means.

Still giving thought to the characters I want to use.
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
Well according to the test I'm ENFP - the Champion,

I've never been to sure how useful these personality type are in day to day life. But they could be useful in writing when it comes to using defined personality archetypes. I personally feel that every one has a combination personality type that changes over time rather then being constant as some people believe. I for one have changed from INFJ to ENFP since university.

As for which to archetypes I’m using I will be having a banter scene between an Architect (iNTp) and a Composer (iSfP).

From the data I've seen, the N/S part of a personality type seems to be genetic or determined in early childhood, and does not change. The other three letters are more a result of one's philosophical beliefs about how the world works, who you are, and what is good/appropriate. These beliefs can be changed more easily in a child or teenager than in an adult, but even in adults they may be changed by a traumatic experience or something like a midlife crisis where one reevaluates one's priorities and preferences.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Stupid me, thinking we would have a contest about writing something, instead of taking tests...

tsss tsss!!
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Fournicolas
Stupid me, thinking we would have a contest about writing something, instead of taking tests...

tsss tsss!!

Yes silly you, I said I wanted it to be an _educational_ contest. :P The writing part starts on monday. The test and reading is the groundwork to give everyone a common starting point from which to consider the role character psychology plays in writing dialogue.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

INTJ

Hehe, I would love to see banter between Ayn Rand and Walt Disney...

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Okay, starting the actual writing today! [grin] First, choose the two characters you want to have the argument if you haven't already. Personally I recommend choosing characters who only have one or two letters different, not all four. Then analyze the differences between the two characters to find out what style of argument they will have. For example, if one is a J and one is a P, the J is likely to be pushing for action while the P is calling for further thought before acting. Also, Js tend to pronounce extreme judgements to which Ps will react by temporizing and pointing out other sides of the issue. Generally Js are leaders and Ps are followers. See how knowing the two characters' personality types can give you story ideas? What similar rules of thumb can you deduce for I/E, N/S, and T/F?

The banter scene you are writing is the very first scene of a longer piece (no you won't have to write the rest if you don't want to), and must serve the purpose of introducing both characters and the issue they are arguing about, which should be related to the theme of the story. The opening of Shakespeare's _Much Ado About Nothing_ is a great example of starting with a banter scene. You may write in either script or narrative format, but be sure to use stage directions or dialogue tags and narration to describe the characters' facial expressions and gestures during the argument.

The argument can be about whatever you like, and the characters can have whatever appearances/genders/races you like. The banter scene must be between 800 and 3,000 words. Just post it in this thread when you are done, no secrecy necessary, but kindly spellcheck it first and make sure you use line breaks. A short title by which we can refer to your piece will be helpful in the upcoming discussion. These are your first drafts - they should be as good as you can make them by yourself, but you will later do a revision based on everyone's comments and turn that in. First drafts may be turned in an commented on until next monday (1 week from now), but the sooner you get your draft in the more time people will have to comment on it. Feel free to ask questions, and write write write! [smile]

Does it have to be an argument? Or will any banter scene do?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement